Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

BOV question

Old 06-20-2002, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV question

Okay, I almost have all the parts I need for my turbo. Got the intercooler (Audi 5000, great condition), and the BOV w/flange is on the way.

The compressor outlet is 1.75", the DSM BOV pipe is 1.75", the intercooler openings are 2.25", and I think our TB opening is 2.75" (not sure though).

anyway, I'd like to keep the pipe transitions smooth, so I was thinking of putting the BOV right after the compressor. It's a bypass-type, that would recirculate after the MAF sensor.

Any potential problems having the BOV this close to the compressor? It seems most kits/factory cars have it after the intercooler.

thanks,
ac
Old 06-21-2002, 05:24 PM

I'd say to keep the BOV after the IC on the upper intercooler piping nearer to the TB.
Reason for this is that if you put the BOV next to the compressor, the air would have to change direction to be released at the shift point, rather than simply following its path and bleeding out the charge pipe.
Old 06-22-2002, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You want the BOV as far from the turbo as is possible. The purpose of the BOV is to bleed off excess pressure when you close the throttle. If you mount it right next to the compressor, chances are, some part of the pressure wave will still make it back to the compressor.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:28 AM

what random said and:
may cause buku damage to the compressor blades
Old 06-23-2002, 04:09 AM

I agree with you random but you really don't need a BOV unless you are running some serious boost factory cars have been running them for years and have not had a prob with out them!
Some newer cars come with them already!
They help with turbo lag and boost creep and they sound cool too!
But I now that you don't have to have one to run your turbo set up!
I did without one with no prob or damadge to or serious lag from my 1987 turbo thunderbird 2.3 intercooled T3 turbo 18psi 250 Hp est!
Just to let you now that you can go without!