Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Beta turbo manifold

Old 11-21-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Elantra SE

QUOTE(Cypher @ Nov 21 2008, 08:12 AM)
wrrrrrrrrrrong. I have an evo 8 manifold right next to me as well as the turbo for it. The manifold WILL NOT BOLT UP with just one bolt hole change. even if you do get it to bolt up, the ports will not line up correctly resulting in impeded flow to the turbo. Don't waste your time.
again wrong, the evo 8 manifold has a twin scroll inlet flange. No t3 will work because.... t3 turbos use a T3 FLANGE. There are other twin scroll turbos available but they are likely to be expensive. heres the evo 8 turbo (the exact one I have)

It will bolt up. Been there, tried that.
QUOTE(187sks @ Nov 21 2008, 09:22 AM)
I know people have done it. I haven't done it myself so I can't say exactly what was required but that was what they told me. Port shape, size, and alignment IDK.

I was talking about this issue with the owner of Pina Motorsports (who specializes in DSM/Mitsubishi drivetrains) on Saturday and he also confirmed my thoughts on the application of the Mitsubishi parts on the Hyundai; which is basically Mitsubishi designed in the first place. The Beta 1 and Beta 2 is basically a Mitsubishi engine with minor changes.

QUOTE(Cypher @ Nov 21 2008, 11:38 AM)
People have done it, but it doesn't make it a good idea.

It still works right?

Hyundai did not design the beta engine by themselves. It basically is a Mitsubishi engine without balance shafts.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

QUOTE(cclngthr @ Nov 21 2008, 07:01 PM)
It will bolt up. Been there, tried that.

I was talking about this issue with the owner of Pina Motorsports (who specializes in DSM/Mitsubishi drivetrains) on Saturday and he also confirmed my thoughts on the application of the Mitsubishi parts on the Hyundai; which is basically Mitsubishi designed in the first place. The Beta 1 and Beta 2 is basically a Mitsubishi engine with minor changes.
It still works right?

Hyundai did not design the beta engine by themselves. It basically is a Mitsubishi engine without balance shafts.

I have a manifold here and a spare exhaust manifold gasket. I'll take pictures of it against hte manifold for reference. It is not just one hole. The beta is not mitsubishi designed.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Elantra(Dead project) 1986 Golf(Track whore) 2000 Ranger(Daily)

So your saying the ports dont line up? hmmm...

EVO turbo manifold from ebay..... $157.00
Dremel..... $59.00
Realizing you just got a turbo
manifold for your Beta that was $544 less than retail... PRICELESS
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2003 elantra, Soon to be beta swapped 01 lc hatch

QUOTE(Cypher @ Nov 21 2008, 08:43 PM)
I have a manifold here and a spare exhaust manifold gasket. I'll take pictures of it against hte manifold for reference. It is not just one hole. The beta is not mitsubishi designed.

Jim is right the Beta is NOT designed by Mitsu...... at all. It is possible to cut the manifold flange off the Evo mani and reweld the beta flange on I think.

Jim It is nice to see you whoring it up over here. lol good times to be had by all (unless Pete Joins)
Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

sorry to bring this thread from the dead, but I have an EVO 8 manifold and turbo(16G) on a BETA 1. all I had to do is re-drill the bolts and bore the exhaust ports to match the beta and voila!

this picture was half assed, so people have an idea of how its done.

i have more pictures and info of my build on rdt.com yeah.gif
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Thanks for posting that. It's not that difficult to pull off. I still say it's a very viable option. I've bought aftermarket parts for my Hyundai that fit worse than that.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent 2.0L

I used a beta 1 manifold and had to slot several hole in order to mount up to the head. I probly should of went with an evo set up.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2006 Kia Spectra5

You could always go custom ... tongue.gif

Old 03-17-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I'd rather get an OBX, which has been significantly improved since their early versions. Bolts right up. Then I'd ceramic coat it.

And I don't call the work needing to be done to the EVO manifold "easy". Looks significant to me. I've ported stuff like that and it's not fun to do. And I can see right there in the pic that even though you ported the front edge of the opening, you still couldn't blend it in smoothly to the runner. The air isn't hitting a perpendicular wall, but it's still hitting a sharp 45* angled wall. You saved money. But you spent a lot of time, and still came up with a sub-par product. And you're left with using a DSM flange which limits your turbo choices and price advantage.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

regarding the OBX, back in oct 08 when me and radu first started working on his kit, he bought an obx.. the manifold wouldnt even bolt up to the beta head. was off on some holes by up to 1/8" or more.

regarding the EVO manifold, its a good setup if you are going for cheap. and why bother even porting the runners to somewhat match if your going a cheap route. you can utilize the EVO downpipe and keep the downpipe farther away from the alternator.

you probably will hardly notice better results porting or not on the 'butt' dyno. if your going for 1/4 mile and dyno, then port or get a better setup/manifold.