Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Alpine Turbo Owners please reply

Old 04-28-2002, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine Turbo Owners please reply

Random and I have discovered some differences with the Alpine Turbo.

The main difference is the waste gate rod on Random's is not adjustable where it is adjustable on my Alpine Turbo.

Those of you with the Alpine Turbo can you post as to whether or not your waste gate is adjustable? You can tell from the actuator rod, if it is one piece (not adjustable) or if it has a locking nut towards the end (adjustable)

Also what spark plugs are you using? I haven't had mine dyno tuned yet so I'm still using the ones supplied by Alpine (hmmm would be good if I knew what those were).

Old 04-28-2002, 05:18 AM

Hmmmm I will have to check my turbo on the actuator rod, I think it had a nut on it. I bought mine from skilspeed maybe he would know. I will check that out next time I am working on it....As for the plugs I asked random about the plugs I got with the kit he said they were two heat ranges colder than stock and were the regular NGK plugs and not the V-power ones.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:03 AM

Alpine already sets their wastegate to 9PSI?
The one that i have has a nut on it so mine is adjustable.Alpine is ending me a 5psi Wastegate and Rod so that i can stay at that level.Im currently running 11psi and passing the 9PSI MARK which is set by Alpine.I have to machine the flange on my downpipe thats why im running such high boost?
Did you run the unichip and spacer which was included in the KIT?
Old 04-28-2002, 07:58 AM

Yeah I had the spacer installed and the Unichip / 5th injector.

The place that installed it didn't notice that the waste gate was adjusted wide open so at first I only had 5 PSI at like 4200 RPM's.

I pulled the Turbo out and readjusted the waste gate to full closed and ended up with way mad boost. Like 16 to 18 eek!

I opened up the waste gate about 4 1/2 turns and now I've got 10 - 12 PSI and it starts boosting at 2800 and I have max boost at about 3200.

Now I just gotta rebuild the Turbo 'cause the seals are junk. frown
Old 04-28-2002, 12:09 PM

CyberGreg!!
How did you manage to hit 5PSI as mine hits 11PSI-13PSI?
Alpine is sending e a PSI wastegate plus did you have to machine the flange on the downpipe because i have to on mine in order for the flapper to open up fully.Thats why im hitting 11-13PSI?
Also do you have any problems with your idling?
My Tibby at times JERKS while im driving?
How is your vacum lines installed?
Old 04-28-2002, 12:44 PM

2 UNIQ:
CyberGreg!!
How did you manage to hit 5PSI as mine hits 11PSI-13PSI?
The waste gate was adjusted to full open. Plus it didn't get to 5 PSI until 4200 RPM's, less than ideal.

Alpine is sending e a PSI wastegate plus did you have to machine the flange on the downpipe because i have to on mine in order for the flapper to open up fully.Thats why im hitting 11-13PSI?
My down pipe already had a circle machined into it.

Also do you have any problems with your idling?
Yes but I'm hoping it will be fixed after tuning.

My Tibby at times JERKS while im driving?
Mine did too when my boost was too high. You're probably experiencing the same thing because of your higher compression. Once you get it down to 5 -7 you should be better.

How is your vacum lines installed?
Right from the pressure side of the Turbo, about 5" long.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:27 PM

Greg!!
My car at idle revs up and down quickly.Im looking at my Fuel pressure gauge and its bouncing from 20-40PSI very fast.When i set my pressure to 48-50PSI at idle it stops bouncing but when i start driving it does the same thing again?
Also i hope the jerking goes away because i notice it when i drive it a hard then let off the gas and the car will start to jerk very bad.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:45 PM

2 UNIQ:
YOU ALSO MENTIONED THAT YOU HAVE A LITTLE OIL LEAK FROM THE LINE,THE FUNNY THING IS WHEN I DRIVE MY CAR HARD THERE IS SMOKE COMING OUT OF MY MOTOR AND NOTICED THAT OIL IS LEAKING FROM THE FITTING.
IS THIS THE SAME PROBLEM YOU HAVE?

Its not leaking alot but very little where its falling on the hot engine and smoke appears.
No... mine isn't leaking any oil at all it's nice and dry. What happens is that under hard acceleration I have a little blue (oil) smoke out the exhaust and then if I say wind it out in 3rd gear and then just shift into 4th and back off a little, to slow down - the blue smoke pours out the exhaust.

Each time I disassemble like the pressurized intake pipe it's coated with oil (on the inside).

You mentioned that you disconnected the waste gate rod. How quickly do you build boost, you around what RPM's?

[ April 29, 2002, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: CyberGreg ]
Old 04-29-2002, 01:20 PM

I disconnected the pin that holds the rod,so this allows the flapper to fully open and you should get VERY little BOOST like 4-5 PSI.I was still hitting 10-12 PSI which im currently at now even with the PIN installed.The problem is on my Downpipe there is no RECESS on the Flange.Alpine didnt even send it to me with a Recess already drilled.This is causing my BOOST to be so high.Im 100% convinced this is the problem,because when you disconnect the pin there should be NO BOOST and there is no recess in the flange.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:52 PM

2UNIQ,

I'm sure that the funny idle is ECU related... it probably is not that happy about the larger injectors. Maybe some more fine tuning with the AFC.

Assuming everything else is ok... such as the idle control and no intake leaks.