Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Alpine SuperCharger update!

Old 08-01-2002, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine SuperCharger update!

First off thanks goes out to Jaws01 and Random for help with the s/c.

Greetz to KayJai for helping with the CAI.

It was alot of headaches, phonecalls, emails, alot of "wtf!!! is this, the car's not driveable!!!" and yes some blood was actually shed in the process.

But! The s/c seems to run pretty good now, there is definite more pull now then ever. There is still a very slight bog around 1100rpm whenever the engine bay heats up or my gas tank falls below 1/3. But jaws01 says its hardly noticeable.
Have yet to tune the ECU.
But other than that it runs great. I have to say I'm very happy with it at this point.

All installation done by Jaws01(except some bolts i managed to get off with a screwdriver and yes the trusty wrench =)

Another interesting sidenote is that I seem to have noticed my car does use less gas now that it is running better. I assume I have come close to the correct air to fuel mixture. IE before it was running way too much fuel and suffocating from lack of O2.

If anyone has any hints on how to cool the engine bay for my heat problem, or any other way to get more air flowing into the s/c, that info would be appreciated.
Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

A WRX style scoop would direct air flow right over the SC to keep it cooler. for extreme cases you could add water misters to the vent to spray a very fine mist of water into that scoop and thus onto the Supercharger, however, I think that might be more problems (dirt and electrical) than it's worth.

A phoenic head gasket spacer to block heat from the head would also help a tad, but a large portion of the heat comes from the supercharger itself.

Lastly, converting the SC to oil lubricated (having oil flow in one location, and out the other side) might help, but since the engine oil is fairly hot to begin with, I'm not too sure how much cooling that would actually do.

The most extreme option would be to dump the 5th injector, and upgrade the 4 stock injectors, and use the 5th injector hole as a water injection system. Or just simply tune down the 4 stock injectors and spray more fuel from the 5th injector to cool the supercharger. Both are fraught with problems, and are a tuning nightmare, but they are theoretical options.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:53 PM

The hood vents are going to help you alot in the cooling dept. Also I would recomend using Water Wetter form Redline oil. Always make sure your using a 50/50 mix of water and you may want to look into using a remote oil cooler. Since you have recently spent a large amount of money these are some inexpensive things that can lower your temps.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:51 PM

Gives me some good ideas to play around with now.
Thanks for the ideas guys, i'll definitly look into all of them.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:23 AM

You can get the vented CF hood from SR and upgrade your stock engine bay fans. I know they make them for turbo/supercharger applications, but I am not sure if they are all universal. Put a heatsink and fan on your intercooler wink yeah right

[ August 02, 2002, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Copa ]
Old 08-02-2002, 12:55 AM

Actually the vented CF hood from SR is designed to draw air up the front of the bay, which would be better for turbo, but the WRX style scoop as mentioned before would do better to force air back over the supercharger.

I'd have to go turbo, because I prefer that style hood

I'd like a phenolic spacer too, if they ever get made (*COUGHrandomCOUGH*) wink

[ August 02, 2002, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Veniston ]
Old 08-02-2002, 02:20 AM

MtAngel...

Alpine developments has (as of July 1st) just opened up our new U.S. office in Garden Grove Ca. for "local" sales, customer service and support! Please give me a call, or e-mail me, for some ideas and tips on how to maximize the kit you have.

My name is Steve Belanger, and I am the Sales & Marketing guy for Alpine Develpoments, and have just logged on to this site today. I will address and work with anyone who has one of our supercharger or turbo kits for the 2.0L and is experiencing any difficulties, and hopefully answer other members questions as well, so please help spread the word.

We are currently waiting for test dates to get CARB approval, and want to make sure when that happens, can forward the E.O. sitckers to anyone who has already purchased one of our kits as well.

Our office phone number is (714) 379-8066, or e-mail me at: sbelanger@alpine-developments.us .

thanks

[ August 02, 2002, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: ballrub ]
Old 08-02-2002, 02:25 AM

Steve, do you really think your helping Alpine out by having your screen name as BALLRUB?
Old 08-02-2002, 02:41 AM

Would a dual-fan set up be feasible?

Coupled with an oil-cooler?
Old 08-02-2002, 03:07 AM

Design...

Sorry if the login name doesn't seem appropriate, but that was a nickname (long story) given to me years ago while working at Turbo/Import Tuner magazines, and my "screen" or login name for the 2 years I was with speedoptions.com, where a lot of peeps know me, and it's kind of stuck.

Regardless of how silly or inappropriate my name sounds, it's the person behind the name that counts. Wih my over 25 years of experience in working in the automotive aftermarket, and now officially representing Alpine Developments, hopefully I can be a positive contributing member to this website (passing on some of my wisdom) by answering questions and offering assistance to members here.

But more importantly now, as an official representitive of Alpine Develpoments, my goal is to help out any members that have experienced any problems with our forced inductions packages for our Hyundai applications, hopefully turning around the "un-helpful" reputation that is currently perceived by many.

If you believe it is too "risque" of a name for a company representative to have, and others agree, I will concede to the will of this site and change my login name to something more appropriate, ok?

Thanks!

[ August 02, 2002, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: ballrub ]