Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

1.8 turbo help!

Old 02-17-2002, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 turbo help!

I live in Caracas-Venezuela. I hope that you forgive me for my bad english please ,but I need your help!!! I heve in my car:

1.-Alpine turbo kit with the new unichip.
2.-Ultra Street Lightened Underdrive Crank Pulley.
3.-tires 195/50 15
4.-engine 1.8 L. I donīt have Map
5.- fuel bump eagle talon 255LPH.
6.- exhaust 2.5

OK, I am work to 14PSi boost. I have stock internals. Sometimes my car is very good, but sometimes is very bad. I do not why. My gauge of air/fuel is very poor and I am working to 100 Psi of fuel in the fuel regulator. My car is always produce smoke for too fuel in the regulator. I do not know what I do. I do not know if the problem is that the unichip was programed for 2.0 L and I have 1.8L. I never to increase the boost since what I received the alpine and it work to 14 PSI,but my car when is good is very fast. The next week I am going to drag way for I know my time in 1/4 mile. I need your help everybody. Anybody what can help or give me you opinion about that or What can I do for my car is good please Help me Thanks friends.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:18 PM

Hey man! Well, from what i've learned about the Alpine turbo kit, is that it doesn't really utilize the best methods of turbo charging a car to the best extent.
1. The head spacer is the worst way to lower compression. That could be one reason you're smokin. Get lower compression pistons.
2. The uni chip i believe is a "piggy back" style chip and from what i've heard, manages the engine terribly. I'm sure some decent tuning will clean up descrepincies *hopefully*.
3. Ask the guy RANDOM, he's got the same kit i believe and i'm pretty much repeating what he's told me. I have a 1.8l too and well, i guess your proof that the Alpin turbo kit works on a 1.8l but don't worry if your car runs like @#$! 'cause RANDOM's 2.0l runs the same way from what he's told me. sad.gif
Old 02-17-2002, 10:35 PM

thanks rich for your help!!!!Which pistons I can buy? where? Cost? thanks rich!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:37 AM

i would suggest that you remove the alpine chip. and see how it runs without it..

if that doesnt work, you may have low octane fuel... make sure your using high octane. you can reduce the fuel pressure IF you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, use a guage and get it down to 40 psi at idle.

smile.gif

if that doesnt work, ask Random for more ideas smile.gif

laterz.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:31 AM

I can not do it because it controled the 5 inyector!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You cannot remove the Uni-Chip that Alpine sends with the kit, unless you go with some form of stand alone ECU. (Haltec or Motec).

100 PSI of fuel pressure is WAY TOO HIGH for the stock injectors to handle. I would be willing to bet that they are locking up, and that is why your car sometimes runs good, and sometimes not. Also, the stock fuel pump cannot send much fuel at 100 PSI. As the pressure goes up flow decreases.

I would reccomend that you install a larger, high volume, high pressure fuel pump, and also back down the boost, and the fuel pressure till you get it dialed in right. Then start to increase both slowly.

Keep in mind, as you raise fuel pressure, you lower the "lock up" point on the injectors. A injector that will lock up at 90% duty cycle at 44psi (stock Fuel Pressure) will probably lock up at 60% or 70% duty cycle at 100 PSI of fuel pressure.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:58 PM

Thanks random by your opinion. I have a fuel pump of eagle talon in my car of 255LPH. Now well, I think that the problem of now can be the spark plugs because they are full of gasoline therefore fuel. tomorrow I am going to buy a boost controler of greddy and a nok link. after that do the adjustments I sent them a post ok thanks friends. I hope more opinion please.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The talon fuel pump flows more than the stock tibby pump, but it does not flow 255lph at 100psi. More like 100 or 150lph at 100psi.

If your plugs are wet, that is probably the sign that the injectors are failing, and when they fail, they usually fail wide open.

100 PSI should NOT be required for 14 PSI.

How are you raising the fuel pressure?
How are you checking the fuel pressure?

If you are using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, what is it it set to? 5:1? 10:1? 7:1?
Old 02-18-2002, 02:29 PM

Thanks random, but that your you recommend me that I do first. Here in Venezuela have a friend that the did the course of unichip in surafrica and the says that can put me the tunnig correct for my car to be that a solution? good, I followed your recommendations random because you know about that.