Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

What do you think of this?

Old 12-12-2002, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of this?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID...&FID=4816&BQ=sc
Old 12-12-2002, 02:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

People have mixed opinions about the Phantom Grip LSD kit.
It's an affordable alternative to buying a "true" LSD, and it also allows owners of cars for which true LSDs aren't made to enjoy the benefits of a LSD.
I think there's some concern about it's ability to handle extreme amounts of horsepower, but from what I've heard, it's a good choice for those with lightly modded engines.

Sport Compact Car used one in a Nissan 200SX 1.6 project car and they said they liked it.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:36 AM

Its a good add on, if you stay below 180hp.

The problem with it, is it uses the inside walls of transmission as clutches, to created the LSd effect. Under high horspower, your gears will rip apart your transmission case.

I think they used one in a turbo nissan. but nissan tends to have a higher quality tranny. so their case if made out of a better metal which can withstand the gears digging into it better.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:13 AM

Ok my question is would it work fairly the same as a quaffie. I know it won't be exactly the same. I just don't want to hear that it actually takes power away by not giving one wheel power and then not giving it to the other wheel either.

So if I just went the header, exhaust, BBTB, and BIM route this would work fine?
Old 12-12-2002, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Onpol kept blowing his differental with this. When he stopped installing the Phantom Grip, he went from blowing LSD's at 225-250 WHP to blowing the diff alone at 374 whp.

I would NOT reccomend this under any circumstances.