Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

auto to manual swap

Old 12-09-2002, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto to manual swap

quick question for anyone whos done the auto to manual swap
what was the basic price range/dificulty (as in how qualified do you have to be) and about how long the car would be down
reason im asking im lookin for my next mod and im stuck with an auto and its drivin me insane
any help would be great thanks guys
Old 12-11-2002, 02:43 AM

Trying to give some of the other swappers a chance to answer, but I guess they wont.

2000 accent, pricing should be equal or cheaper then the pricing on the 2000 tiburon parts.

You are looking at from $600-$1000 depnding on how lucky you get. other $1000 is BS.

Make sure you ask the mileage on the transmission and what happen to the car is pulled from. try not to go over 15k in mileage.

I did not find it to hard. I took me 6 days. But that was because I found I needed a part and had to order it. Otherwise it would have taken 2 days.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:03 AM

another question i forgot to ask
was there any special tools you had to use or was it a pretty straightforward job?
Old 12-11-2002, 01:14 PM

it cost me around $2000-2500 in parts (check my sig). it took me and my friend 6 days (shadohh's just so superior). as far as special parts, you need to find a way to suspend the engine. check my post here http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.com/noncgi/u...c;f=40;t=000039 for how i did it. other than that, it's a two person job, and you need time, mechanical inclination, and patience. if you have the shop manual, good. if you don't, buy it.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:51 PM

i might be gettin help from some "experienced" guys.. right? wink LOL

Peace
Old 12-11-2002, 03:37 PM

A swap SHOULD NOT costs more then $1000. Turb got ripped.

The only special tool you need is Clutch Alignment tool.. this can be purchased from clutchmaster for like $12 bucks.

Only other thing you need is the a metal pipe to go across the engine bay and bungee the driver side engine hook to it.

so it should cost about $40 in special tools.

And make sure you have another pipe about 4 feet, that can fit over the hanlde over your ratchet. They will give you the torque need to get any pipes off.

assuming you dont have a nice impact gun.

umm. It is a person job. but you wont believe how much easier some things with two ppl. such as removing of the axles from the transmission.

You will need a hydralic jack. hand one wont cut it.

Pick up a chiltons manual for the tiburon. And pick up the shop manual from the dealer.

You should be able to get buy on the Chiltons and Webtech.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:12 PM

i didn't get ripped, shad did a half-assed job we needed two jacks. we had to put the car up on two blocks because i coldn't slide under it with one. also, the second jack came in handy for lowering the auto tranny after we got it off of the engine. if you're going to use only one jack, make sure it's a big *** one that can go up like 22". well, that's what we needed. i had a puny one with something like a 12" reach that wouldn't even touch the tranny, since the car was on two blocks. as far as the clutch tool, i picked one up from discount auto for like $3. it's the same one as gen2 eclipses and like 88-93 ford probes (or something odd like that). how could the swap cost less than a grand. i paid $550 for the tranny and $150 for the drive axles. the clutch and flywheel assembly were like $200-300 alone, plus i made the mistake of buying the "manual" radiator for $100 that i didn't need. the radiators are the same, z3ro, so don't buy a new one, even though they have different part numbers. oh, and i bought a bbtb because the tb's had different part numbers, so that was $300. it all adds up, if you want to do it correctly (like i did )
Old 12-12-2002, 03:29 AM

Well, If you want do it correctly. Sell your car and buy a manual one because lots more parts numbers are different.

Manual uses different springs. ($200)
Different Center Member
Radiator
All 4 engine mounts have different part numbers.
Different Alternators.
M/T Engine Bay Wiring Harness.
M/T ECU
M/T Cruise control ECU
M/T Cruise Control assmebly.
The pedals.
Engine/Tranny Gaskets
Airbox.

The list goes on and on.

Yes you did get ripped. Ouch $200-$300 for a stock clutch?

I paid $750 shipped for eveything.

for $2500 I could got a shop to do it!

[ December 12, 2002, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]
Old 12-12-2002, 04:33 AM

wow so occording to the concensus i can get it done for anywhere from a grand to two grand hmmm.
depending on how i do it (hmmm maybe i can hit it in between LOL) (im really tryin to figure out whats the best thing to do next my gf gave me the option of getting a junkyard car that runs (240sx older 300z or maybe an rx7. oorrrrr i can get a new paint job and new motor and or tranny.
tryin to figure which would be better
Old 12-12-2002, 05:17 AM

mmmm 240sx