Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Transmission Interchange

Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2009 Aceent
Default Transmission Interchange

Hello all.

I have a 2009 Accent GS with the 5 speed. I do a ton of highway driving and 3700/4000 RPM at highway speeds is not cutting it. I was wondering what, if any, Hyundai transmissions interchange. I'm basically looking for a taller 5th gear to lower my highway cruise RPM's down to the low 3000 RPM range. Either swapping the 5th/final drive ratio or the entire transmission would work.

Any advice?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Well, 2006-2009 Accent transmissions will be 100% direct swap.

97-2005 Accent transmissions will bolt to the engine easily, but I'm not sure whether the shift linkage will work. It probably will be able to be made to work if it's not a direct swap.

Transmissions from the Elantra and 2.0l Tiburon can also be made to work but unless you want a big project it's not usually worth it.

FYI, Accent transmissions have been getting progressively better over time. Shift quality on an earlier transmission will be somewhat worse, even if the transmission is in good shape.

Here are some gear ratios for your consideration:

Hyundai gear ratios (Excel spreadsheet)