Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Accent X3 shifter issues

Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Accent
Default Accent X3 shifter issues

Hey all, as you know.. i drive an x3 accent 5spd.

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to get rid of the factory shifter slop.

for example. i put the car in 1st... the shifter will automatically spring back to middle/neutral.. (the car will stay in whatever gear i choose no problem.. just the shifter doesnt stay in the orientation for that gear)

is it bushings? springs?

Ive recently discovered the hyundais use cable linkage. I' ve never had to deal with cable before, so i dont know where to start.

any help would be absolutely Bomba!

Cheers.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

You're going to have to look at the shifter assembly. I'm pretty sure something should be noticeably broken because that behavior is not normal at all.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM

ill take a look on the weekend.. I'll also post a video of exactly what the problem is so you can actually SEE what i mean too (much easier)lol

Old 09-20-2009, 09:32 AM

QUOTE (UnnaturallyAspirated @ Sep 15 2009, 05:47 PM)
ill take a look on the weekend.. I'll also post a video of exactly what the problem is so you can actually SEE what i mean too (much easier)lol

So i pulled the console plastics and started moving stuff around to get to figure out how the linkage i've never dealt with before works and such.

it was pretty simple. really really basic mechanism.

i just started unbolting bolt by bolt, nut by nut, lockwasher by lockwasher (i've noticed the korean's LOVE lockwashers on the x3 haha) and started pulling it apart.

half the plastic bushings were laying in a crumbled pile underneath the shifter pivot.. the other half were decayed and about to fall out.

i replaced every plastic hat bushing in the linkage except one spot.. because it looks like an oring or something or other should go there.

i'll take pics tonight so everyone can see it better, and maybe shed some light on this? it's the arm right behind the actual shifter itself. the shifter pivot pushes on this arm when you go from left to right with the shifter.. the arm is missing something on top.. and nothing i found underneath the shifter in the pile or the bushings i got from hyundai match up to it.

the arm controls the left most cable from the shifter.

and i cant figure out how to pop the bushing out of that cable end. it's a plastic hat b ushings.. with a slotted bushing that's a ball inside it that the cable slides into.

again.. pics coming.. so dont bombard me for pics. LOL i realize untill they're posted, it may be a crapshoot for help.

nonetheless.. even with all these bushings replaced, and a few NOT replaced.. it feels 100% better.

shifter stays in a gear now.. no need to hold the shifter or stir it between shifts.

2nd to 3rd gear sucks though.. always misses now unless im slow and deliberate with it
Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Glad you figured out most of the problem at least.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:04 AM

Vehicle: 1999/hyundai/accent

i know this is old but i swapped the whole shifter assembly from A 2002 accent into my x3 and i love the way it feels nice and tight shifts like a dream