Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

strength of auto tranny

Old 09-14-2002, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strength of auto tranny

anyone "KNOW" how much HP a stock auto tranny on a 2001 tib handle?
Old 09-14-2002, 08:35 PM

I can barely hanlde "STOCK" horserpower. The piece of junk slips in the summer heat.

The shiftronic in the new tibs are a bit better. You could try swapping that. But if ya doing that might as well put in a manual.

A level 10 convertor upgrade ($600) will help with you low end perfromance. But as for holding more horepower. Not really.

A full valve body jobs is required form level 10. which runs about $2000-$3000 when I still had my auto a shop quoted me $2000. (level10 guarantees it for 300whp then)

Biggest problem is heat. The tranny makes alot of it. And does not like it.

You might wanan goto google.com and do a search for "Elantra Zone" He has an automatic elantra running 55-65 shot of NOS. So yes the tranny can hold it atleast 200 crank horsepower. But for how long?

You gotta remember NOS is a once ina while use. If you are thinking about turbo or supercharger. It might self destruct very easily under constant strain.

In other words. No one really knows. Its hit and miss. No ones really tried with the hyundai tiburon auto, mainly because of so many problems with it under stock horsepower.

I would get a nice huge tranny cooler smile.gif and change to B&M automatic synthetic fluid smile.gif

[ September 15, 2002, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]
Old 09-15-2002, 06:23 AM

hey man, that really helps, I appreciate it, I will be dropping a T4 turbo in my tibby here in the next few weeks, so I jusy wanted to know what I could do to help it "live"....this helps, can you shed a little moe light on the options you gave me?...ex.where can I look up or find these tranny coolers?...whee can I getthe auto synth fluid?....I have been after that for a while, but could never find it...thanks again! wink