Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

SPEC SY63A flywheel

Old 03-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Tiburon GT 5-speed
Default SPEC SY63A flywheel

Hey forum - I just signed up here on the advice of a service manager from Hyundai. What I was wondering is if any members here have installed the SPEC aftermarket aluminum flywheel (part number SY63A) into their pre-03/03 Tiburons - and secondly, if they had any problems with their starter lining up with that particular flywheel.

If you dont mind some interesting reading - I will elaborate and give the full story.....

I purchased my car from the dealer with 53000kms (yes, Im Canadian), purchased the walk-away protection, 6-year bumper-to-bumper etc...
Within the first year of having the car my clutch started slipping until - finally - the inevitable.
So - on advice of a few other Tiburon enthusists (autoweb.com), I decided to replace the OEM clutch, and mate it up with the aftermarket Fidenza flywheel (nobody at that point really on that site knew about the slave valve issue back then).
The supplier was unable to ship the Fidenza - and seeing how my car was on a hoist at the time, I had no choice but to take the SPEC flywheel at same price with free express overnight shipping.
The SPEC went on fine - the dowel pins lined up correctly, and tranny fit right back on. It wasnt until we were just finishing the final few steps we found our first snag - the flywheel teeth didnt line up with the starter teeth when the starter was engaged.
My friend (journeyman mechanic) - told me the install was 100% correct - and this must have been a error in design by SPEC. What we ended up doing was use a grinder to remove about 3/8" off the housing of the starter - which made it now mesh prefectly (a new starter later on would have been cheaper than extending the rental on the car I was using at the time).
Everything went fine for the break-in period - but shortly afterward, I started noticing a "idling deisel" kinda chattering sound when Id let the clutch out in neutral (not as distinct as a deisel pick-up truck idling, but its the only copmaprable sound I can think of). My friend said maybe it was probabally a bad throw bearing. So I kinda put up with the noise as it got louder & louder (to the point I could hear it when I had the car going at slow speeds in first gear (the noise would always go away as soon as the petal was pushed in, or when I would rev the motor). It wasnt much longer after that I started noticing some slippage from this clutch (maybe 3-4 months)...And well that too kept getting worse.
So - back to the shop again... This time I wanted to overkill the problem. I ordered a Centerforce F1 stage1 clutch kit and a new friction surface from SPEC - and REMOVED the restrictor valve from the slave cylinder. SURELY this would solve my problems & I could go back to enjoying my car.
WRONG!!
So...now, here I am a year later (current time)...no clutch...TRYING to find the ROOT of the problem...I just emailed SPEC an hour ago - asking them to provide me with a specific measurment from the motor-side surface of the inner-hub of the flywheel to the actual friction surface of the flywheel - to see if they sent me a defective flywheel - other than that - Im completely out of ideas. PLEASE...can anyone help?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

What flywheel do you currently have on your tib? The SPEC one? You might want to try going with a stock flywheel and clutch to make things easy.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Hmmm...definitly doesnt seem right, and I would without a doubt try and talk to SPEC. They might be able to shed some light on the situation, but it does sound like there may be a possible flaw in the design of the flywheel.