Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Short Shifter Comparison

Old 08-07-2002, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter Comparison

Which is better? B&M short shifter or Shark Racing Short Shifter?
Obviously the price is different but both shifters seemed to be engineered completely differently. Sooooo what do you guys think?
Old 08-07-2002, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It depends on what you want.

If you want the shortest throw possible, the SR Shortshifter is the way to go. The problem with the short throw is that it increases shift EFFORT. Not a great deal, but it is noticable. (think about it, by shortening the shift throw, you are removing leverage, so the effort goes up)
I would say the SR Shifter is about a 50% to 60% reduction in shifter travel. The SR SS is much harder to install. It takes about 1 hour to 1.5 hours. It requires you to cut the baseplate of your shifter.

The B&M shifter is just the shifter shaft. As such, it does not shorten your shifter throws as much. It's only about a 20% to 30% reduction in shift throws. Shifting the B&M is harder than stock, but not as hard as the SR SS. Install is reported to be a piece of cake, about 15-30 minutes.

Each shifter has it's pros and cons. The SR unit is the shortest throw you can get. The B&M is probably the "softest" short throw you can get. (stock would be the softest of them all!)
Old 08-08-2002, 02:59 AM

Thanks Random. So the SR shifter has the shortest throw, but is it good quality? I don't mind the fact i have to modify something i'm just concerened about the quality. It just "looks" cheaper.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:14 AM

well i've never heard of a sr ss breaking. I've heard a couple ppl breaking their bm ss. The part that keeps breaking get sent to us in less then a week. but i know for a fact the install time on the bm ss took me 5 mins. Maybe cause i kinda know what i'm doing, seeing how i'm an air plane mechanic. But ramdom is sr ever gonna make theirs so you don't have to modify the base plate?
Old 08-08-2002, 03:56 AM

Solo-Baric:
well i've never heard of a sr ss breaking.
Actually I know of 2 local peeps who've had their entire shaft broken off. And I think it was Red or Reid (always get those 2 mixed up) on the forum here that had the same problem, but I believe Yam replace theirs at no charge.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:52 AM

Hey guys heres my opinion ive had both shifters in my car and broken both shifters but i just put another one on order with sharkracing(lent mine out didnt get it back) anyway random is right the throw is much shorter with the SR and much more effort is required but i for one like the shifter with the extra effort required the shifts feel more positive and less like the stick just slops into gear the b&m shifter is also nice i like the counterweight on the heavy shift knob but it just doesnt feel as tight and crisp and SR's moddifing the base plate isnt a big deal for anyone with a dremel and some experience, the only possible thing i can think of to improve on their design is if someone would work on a return spring with tighter coils the stock spring just feels lousy and also better tighter fitting bushings for the shifter block. just my two cents hope that helps