Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Reverse Problems

Old 09-05-2001, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 tiburon
Default Reverse Problems

Does anyone else have this problem:
When I get into my car and I want to go into reverse sometimes the transmission won't let me put it all the way into gear. After a few attempts and some under-the-breath cussing I finally get it to go. Is there something wrong? Also, I noticed today that when I push in the clutch it is very squeeky, how can I fix that, if at all? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2001, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The clutch is hydraulic, bleeding the fluid and greasing all the moving joints can quiet it down A LOT!!

For ease in getting into reverse, always go from 1 to R. this lines up the syncros for reverse. It makes it 1000x easier... If your gearbox grinds or whines when going into reverse, DON'T FORCE IT!!! Put it in first gear, then go to R.
Old 09-05-2001, 06:46 PM

I've had the same problem with first a R...
With the first I usually just pull it back to neutral and try again.
With R, I gently ease off the clutch while holding the shifter(but not forcing it) and it just pops in on it's own.

Just a question. Would a short-shifter/quickshifter solve this problem?
Old 09-05-2001, 10:04 PM

No, mine made it worse. When I go into reverse, it usually takes two tries.

One thing that does make it easier is double clutching. Since reverse is not synchro'd, letting the clutch out in neutral helps line up the teeth (similar to 1st --> Reverse).

However a quickshifter is beneficial in many other ways

a
Old 09-06-2001, 03:32 AM

Yup yup.. I have to same problem.. I took her into the shoppe yesterday for one of my free oil changes (he he) and the guy told me it is a problem Hyundai is looking into, and hey almost had a recall reguarding it. I was kinda mad when I left, because the Service guy told me there are a few things Hyundai was going to recall, but they didn't for various reasons.. The Infamous Seat Belt problem was going to be, but they didn't want the reputation of having unsafe seatbelt systems. If you remember, KIA had problems with their belts coming undone in accidents. Other than that, the Service Manager said they should be getting the "NEW" Tibs in April. He showed me the Korean brochure for it.. He is a HUGE Korean car guy.. And the cool thing is, I gave him a SR catalogue.. I think he'll enjoy that.. Well, this is getting off topic. Late..
Old 09-06-2001, 03:46 AM

I don't have any problem with my seatbelts. I've heard it mentioned before, but I haven't had any kind of problems with them. As far as the reverse thing goes, I do experience some probs going into reverse, but no more than with any other stick I've driven. I've driven a stick all my car driving life rolleyes.gif so it's nothing really new to me. Like Random said, I just put it back into first and then it's fine to go into reverse. It also doesn't happen all the time or anything, just every once in ahwile. wink.gif
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 97 tiburon fx

yea same problem just put it in a gear then go into reverse and it will work
Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

you realize the original post is dated september 5th 2001 right?