Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

quickest stock 5spd trans for a beta1

Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default quickest stock 5spd trans for a beta1

so i can feel my trans dieing a little more each day, its time to start looking for another one. this one ran me a nice 30,000 miles for a total of 100,000 on the trans, not bad considering how i beat the ever loving sh*t out of it! lol. seriously tho. what would be the best trans to mate to a beta1 engine?

its been 12 years of i4 engines that i just haven't kept up with.

i read a few threads on a simple wiring issue with newer elantra trannys?

would the LC2 accent trans mate to a 2.0 beta1? seems to have the quickest gear set. no?

thanks Floyd for the xls file on the trans gear ratios!

ps-why cant i attach a file in this thread?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well unless sh*t changed while i was away from the forums for a while im pretty sure the XD was the last years a trans would work with the beta 1

the HD went to a different type, on my HD you had to pull a clip in the shift boot and pull the gear lever up and toward first to put it in reverse

its a very very smooth trans other wise, id love to find out more about it honestly

now for quick are you talking 0-60? ive heard from a few people that the 03-04 tiburon trans accelerated a little faster while the elantras tended to have a little better of a highway gear

im pretty sure if you have any power at all youd kill a accent trans rather quickly plus iirc the splines in the inside of the trans are different than the beta setup, iirc you have to mod the axles on a accent to mount the beta trans
Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: 2000/tiburon

the tiburon 01s have the best gearing ratio for acceleration theres a few post about this stuff around
Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 PM

best is a relative term i personally would rather have a longer 5th gear than have the fastest acceleration

plus if its slower off the line you can get traction

its all in the way you want your build to go
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Is the gearing on any of the stock trans even going to make .1 of a second difference?

Rebuild the trans and Frankenstein together ratios from other betas to preference

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
i personally would rather have a longer 5th gear than have the fastest acceleration
x2
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
well unless sh*t changed while i was away from the forums for a while im pretty sure the XD was the last years a trans would work with the beta 1

the HD went to a different type, on my HD you had to pull a clip in the shift boot and pull the gear lever up and toward first to put it in reverse

its a very very smooth trans other wise, id love to find out more about it honestly

now for quick are you talking 0-60? ive heard from a few people that the 03-04 tiburon trans accelerated a little faster while the elantras tended to have a little better of a highway gear

im pretty sure if you have any power at all youd kill a accent trans rather quickly plus iirc the splines in the inside of the trans are different than the beta setup, iirc you have to mod the axles on a accent to mount the beta trans

well according to this, the XD seems to have better 0-60 potential due to bigger first and second

Originally Posted by rd2twisted
the tiburon 01s have the best gearing ratio for acceleration theres a few post about this stuff around

oh yea? where did you get that info from?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Originally Posted by Loneshark
well according to this, the XD seems to have better 0-60 potential due to bigger first and second

Sweet! I have a 02 Elantra 5 speed in my beta swap
Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM

man, i would love to do a beta2 swap, i just dont have the time tho to be swapping harness and or cutting wires to mod sensors...

yea faith, im looking for better low end, but it seems the XD might be the ticket.

...now did the 4cyl GK come in a 6 speed? if so what are the issues with that swap?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:52 PM

i never heard of anyone swapping a 6 speed im sure there is a reason why

why not do a beta 1.5? i did that to the wagon, used a 2002 elantra motor and just swapped over all of my beta 1 stuff onto it like the manifolds and sensors, they all fit right in there place as long as you dont get a cvvt engine

when it came to transmissions ive had tons of em LOL i think im on my 6th or 7th now, beta 1, beta 2 blah blah

my favorite so far was the 2003 xd transmission not cuz of gearing but how it seemed to slide into gear easier but after 6 transmissions i just dont care which one it is as long as it doesnt grind and the price is right

EDIT: just wanted to let you know if you pick up a beta 2 trans there mmight be a little lip youll probably have to grind off in order to get it to line up right

youll see when the time comes if you pick up a beta 2

oh and if you ever plan on making BIG power out of your car stick with a beta 1 trans that way you can convert to a push clutch like I have

then you get TONS of options for clutches lol
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 PM

i think i got my hands on a 2002 XD trans with lo miles....

veering a little off topic, but would dont you think this shifter design is so much better than the RD design? i think i might put one of these entire assemblies in and test it out, who makes short shiftaz for the XD?

i might build one of these too while im at it. this time around.