Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Quick questions for Quaife owners...

Old 03-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default Quick questions for Quaife owners...

Was it still necessary to modify the diff or does it still work even though running essentially in reverse?

-And-

Was the mitsu speedo gear the only other part needed, other then new bearings and seals that is, for functionality? Does the speedo match ours from a beta trans?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 2005/Hyundai/Tiburon

Here's the response I got from Quaife.

If you were to look inside a Quaife differential during straight line acceleration, you'd see that as torque is applied, the pinions inside the differential ride "up" on the sun gear teeth and thrust "outwards" in their pinion pockets to constantly vary or bias torque to the axle with the most traction (or "resistance" as the differential interprets it). The angle of he helical gear teeth determine how much thrust the pinions exert, in this case, their angle is 31 degrees.

In your application, the pinions will ride "down" the sun gear teeth and thrust themselves "inwards" in the pinion pockets. You won't feel a difference in performance, nor will this affect the Automatic Torque Biasing characteristics of the differential since the thrust angle is still exactly the same (31 degrees). The only difference is the thrust direction (inwards vs. outwards).

During a turn, the outside axle will always receive more torque since it has to travel the furthest, and hence, has the most resistance. For this reason, a Quaife will always bias torque in favor of the outside axle which is what gives you the feeling of being "pulled around the corners." Again, there is no regard for orientation, the only difference is the direction of pinion thrust within the differential.

I hope this helps. Please advise if there's anything further I can do.

Best regards,

Scott Cole
Old 03-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

Helps TONS! Was afraid I'd have to tear one apart or something. Thanks a bunch!