Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

overdrive issue?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: TIBURON
Default overdrive issue?

I just bought a 4 cylinder 97 auto tiburon and overdrive is not working. button does nothing. otherwise car drives great and i have fixed all the minor stuff(bad window regulator/broken fans) problems. I can find little to no info on how the overdrive works, maybe how to test the button or wires? thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

hi, 97 2.0l a/t tib owner here.. i also have an o/d button but never used it. be sure to always leave it in the "on" state as this would allow you to reach 4th gear. having it on "off" would limit you to the 3rd gear i think. guys, please correct me if i'm wrong.

what you could probably do to test it is to count how many shifts your car makes. if you leave it on the "on" position, the tib shouldn't even reach 4th gear. if it's "off", then the car should reach 4th.

sorry if you've already done this but i assumed this would be the simplest way to test of you o/d works or not.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: TIBURON

Overdrive button does nothing. Looking to try to figure how test the wires going to. That will tell me if its the buttom, wiring or something else is going. I ampretty competant with turning wrenches. Been working on, racing, and flipping cars for for 10+ years. hyndia nevee messed with a hyndia.

95% sure it's wiring switch. Do you guys have access to a shop manual?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

i think i saw a DIY that pretty much described how the wiring worked. head on over the DIY section and you might find it there.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

mustangnick88, please use the Add Reply or Fast Reply buttons to respond to the post immediately above yours, instead of using the "Reply" button . . . or else please delete the quote of the last post from your reply. We just read it once, we don't need to read the previous post twice! Thanks.

Also, and probably much more useful to know:

Use (only) Internet Explorer

Go to www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

Register for a free login

There you will find shop, electrical and owners' manuals as well as TSBs for your car. Wiring diagrams included, but beware of the indicated wire colors.

From a stop, accelerate gently enough to feel the gear changes. You will count three or four gears. Press the overdrive button. There should be a different number of gears used. That is what mousepad was getting at.