Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

OBX short shifter install guide

Old 07-14-2002, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX short shifter install guide

For info on the short shifter, please see the previous thread *OBX short shifter*

Please note that I cheated a little bit on the install guide. Instead of re-installing the stock shifter and then installing the OBX one, I simply removed the OBX one and then put it back in, taking pics along the way. It shouldn't matter, because the process of removing the OBX shifter is the same as the stock one.

Step 1: Unscrew shift knob.

Step 2: Pull up shifter surround

Step 3: Use a 14mm socket to loosen nut as pictured below:

Step 4: Remove the nut with your fingers to avoid dropping it.

Step 5: Remove the rest of the pieces after the nut, noting the order in which they came off so you can put them back in the right order. Also note the way that the return spring is attached so that you'll put it back on the right way. Here's a pic of the pieces in order (see, i had to chop the image because I laid them out in the wrong order rolleyes.gif )

Step 6: Remove the bolt itself from the other end.

Step 7: Use a pair of needlenose pliers to pull the metal clip out of the bottom end of the shfter where it attaches to the cable:

Step 8: Take the bushing off of the underside of the stock shifter and put it on the OBX one (see my post in the HELP! forum if you want to know why this is important )

Step 9: Put the OBX shifter in position and put the bolt back in.

Step 10: Put the pieces you took off back on the bolt, being careful to put them in the right order and attach the return spring correctly.

Step 11: Attach the cable to the bottom of the shift lever and put the metal clip back on.

Step 12: Move the lever around to make sure it goes where it should & such.

Step 13: Put the shift knob on and go for a drive around the block to further make sure it works correctly.

Step 14: Remove the shift knob and put the shifter surround back on.

Step 15: Put the shift knob back on.

Step 16: Go inside and have a beer (note: twistedH industries does not condone underage drinking. Please drink responsibly.)

Afterthought: be sure to grease the places on the OBX shifter where the stock one is greased. For more detail on where to lubricate, go to hyundai's webtech site, hmaservice.com

Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:54 AM

There's only one problem with the OBX shifter that I have had with mine. That plastic bushing on the bottom of the shifter that you have the black arrow pionting at tend's to rotate on the ball and causing the side to side movement to get alot of play. If you look at the stock shifter you will notice that the ball on the bottom is squared off so it can't rotate. I had to machine a new bushing out of teflon to replace the stock one and now it works great. The B&M comes with a new bushing so they don't have that problem.

Pick of bushing I had to make

now when I put it in gear the shifter is nice and tight in that location but if you shifter still moves side to side when in gear that is because you have play in the stock bushing you might need to make one.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:20 AM

so how would I go about doing that?
Old 07-14-2002, 11:52 AM

your best bet would be to contact B&M and see if you can order a repalcement bushing off one their shifters cause they seem to be the same, I made my own on a lathe at my job, I am a manger at a machine shop so that makes it easy for me.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:10 AM

maxxtib, you have a PM
Old 07-15-2002, 08:07 AM

Well, I just got off the phone with B&M, and they're sending me the bushing from their shifter for free! They were really nice and are going to drop it in the mail tomorrow. Thumbs up to them!
Old 08-06-2002, 03:56 AM

Dang, I hate to re-awaken this dead old post, but we just installed our obx shifter and it's sloppy like mad. Where can I find the ph# or website for B&M?? I need me one of them bushings!

.w.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:37 AM

go to yahoo and type in b&m in search and it will come up with their page. the number is not toll free.