Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Leather gear knob

Old 09-12-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: RD1
Default Leather gear knob

Hi,

I want to repleace the megan gear knob which comes with the short shifter with a black leather one in my RD1. Do you have any recommendation?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tibby

jb weld lmao
Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Assumption: on mine, the megan shifter had a female thread, and the stock leather one also had a female thread. The threads were the same. You can test it by screwing the megan shift knob onto the stock shift knob. Asssuming this is the case for you, read on.

Best way: find a long (as in about 4-6in) bolt with the right threads. Screw it in the megan, and put the knob on top. Twist until tight. Simple.

How I did it:
Couldn't find a 4-6in long bolt of the right thread... So I got 2 bolts (actually the whole box, but only used 2) of the right thread and had a machine shop weld two of them together. The weld joint is in the middle, so it doesn't affect anything when you screw it in, and it worked perfectly. Total cost? about $5. Beats JB weld any day.

Then the plastic top on my leather one fell apart. And I'm too cheap to buy another. Anyone want to donate one or have one real cheap?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: RD1

Thank you guys. Special thanks to StrikeEagle for the details. I will do it smile.gif