Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

OEM clutch disc with Aftermarket pressure plate

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default OEM clutch disc with Aftermarket pressure plate

Sorry if this has been asked before.

So I heard a horrible grinding noise engaging about 200 miles after I installed my turbo. Im running a F1 racing clutch (horrible quality) that is rated to 280hp.
And the pictures should be self explanatory.

By revotib at 2010-09-21

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

By revotib at 2010-09-21

By revotib at 2010-09-21

Once i pulled the tranny there was actually two small springs sitting in the flywheel. "that cant be good" lol2.gif So when I looked at the clutch disc the springs actually found a way out of the clutch disc.

Im kind of in a pinch for money now and Im wondering if I can run my oem disc with the stage 2 F1 racing pressure plate?
Im assuming that I would have to break in the clutch again and clean the plate and flywheel, but maybe it would hold my 10lbs of boost on a 16g?
Im not really launching the car I just want a street-able clutch for the time being.
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

flywheel is ruined

wont work well youll just be wasting money

but to answer the actual question

yes you can use oem disk with a different plate but after looking at those hot spots im very sure the plate is ruined also
Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Do you think that the clutch was just not broken in right? Was it just too much power for the clutch? Or did the clutch fail and then kill the flywheel.
Thanks for the fast reply.
This sucks....
Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 AM

clutch disk wasnt machined right

just be glad...i had a SPEC clutch do the same thing to me once, cept it ate the bell housing and eventually launched a spring through the case

so i had to install a new clutch, new starter, new trans, and a new flywheel

Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Break in has nothing to do with springs coming out, Google search F1 broken springs, there very coming with higher power cars... There are many many complaints, if you go cheap, get and XTD clutch... Not XTR or F1.....

That pressure plate is toast hot spots are not going to hold any pressure and your going to just burn up that new Oem disc if you get it, i would just go XTD for now... there cheap, but they work and last.... just try to get a OEM throw out bearing there bearings blow!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the parts, why not install it and see? The worst-case is you have to push the car into your driveway and remove/replace it all again.

Keep the boost to nothing, until you can get a proper new set of parts.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Eh.. XTD uses a valeo throw out bearing, hyundai uses a valeo with HMA stamped on it.. same stuff. Also the pressure plates are stock painted red. confirmed by a clutch rebuilding comparing who then laughing until he cried about it.

thats not stock (and were the extra bite comes from, notice the smaller surface area of the puc design and the different material)

that is some highspeed red paint. and no I didn't say it was stock. Someone that knows alot more about clutches than I do confirmed it. It was funny.. even the rivets had the same letters stamped on them. Now.. is it a bad buy for someone who isnt making alot of power? Not really.. good price even compared to stock. Saying that's an upgraded pressure plate is LOL IMO.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM

^^ LOL what a joke! I guess the paint really does fool us into thinking the pressure plates are upgraded. (I did)
Well I ended up going with stockers suggestion and throwing the oem clutch disc back in until I decide what clutch to waste my money on.
The clutch feels smooth again somehow, actually better than the pos disc that broke on me ever felt. Hopefully it holds out until I get a new one. I just gotta find a way to stay off the boost. GOD ITS SO ADDICTING!
Thanks guys for the input. Ill have to search to see what clutch I want to go with.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

btw that was not my XTD, that was a beta swapped buddy of mine... that clutch had to come out weeks later. Not because it failed but because metal from a broken starter housing (Wtf) fell into the PP. BUT the ring that rids on the trans input shaft was already loose....
Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad you're up and running. Pin your wastegate open or something, because it will NOT hold 150+HP.

It feels smooth because the stock clutch was designed to feel smooth.