Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Hyaundi will not go into gear please help

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyaundi elantra
Default Hyaundi will not go into gear please help

Okay kind of a long story but here it goes. About a month ago i was driving my 2001 hyaundi elantra and suddenly the car wouldn't change from 2nd to thrid. I was about an hour away from home so i kept forcing it into gear all the way home. once i got it home i heard noises everytime i pushed in the clutch. So I broke it down and found that the springs were broke in the pressure plate. So i replaced the clutches, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. put it all back together and everything worked smooth. two days later i was on my way to town and the car wouldn't go into gear once again. This time i did not force anything and towed it home. so I know everything internal is brand new and ok. When i turn the engine off the gears go in fine. but when the car is running they will not change. I have changed the slave cylinder and Master Clutch cylinder. bled them off several times and still won't go into gear. I don't know what else to do. Please help before i crazy lol.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Does the clutch pedal depress? Sounds like a bum TOB, What brand cluch did you get?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Check to see that the slave cylinder is extending when you depress the clutch pedal; if it doesn't move, then you have a hydraulics problem. If not, then it's most likely a TOB install problem.

Also, it's "Hyundai"

And space out your paragraphs, that was painful to read.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM

Yes the slave cylinder does move like normal but the pedal inside peels rather soft. like its not working the tob correctly. I have now checked all hydraulics and everything seems to be okay. I used perfection clutches. that is the only brand the local advance auto parts has...
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Hmm... last I checked Vatozone carried Valeo which is Oem for us. If the hydraulics are functioning, its gonna end up being the TOB, did you slip the TOB into the fork and did you install it bearing facing out? Also check the dowel the TOB rides on, I have seen several that have gotten chewed up from shitty TOB. It makes the clutch operate roughly.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM

thanks turburon am gonna start pulling the tranny again tomorrow... and check the tob... ive exhausted every other option. that is what it is all pointing to... Ill let u know in a couple days... i'm slow at pulling all that crap out though
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 PM

Ok heres the latest... I pulled the axles and stuff getting ready to remove the tranny. Then i started taking the clutches cables off, I noticed that the top clutch cable (the one that moves the gears up and down) was broken... The Rubber bushen inside was completly broke. I replaced it today. Still no help. Does anyone have anymore ideas before i completly replace the clutches, pp, tob again?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I agree with Turboron_99, its the TOB, but why? The fact that it did ok then failed suddenly makes me think it came out of the PP, something wasn't right with snap-ring? I know you already started taking it apart, but I would guess that had you started it in first then came off the brake with the clutch pedal down, it would have started moving forward.

Those symptoms are very similar to when a freind of mine with a beta accent broke his starter and a decent sized shard of metal fell into the PP. This kept pressure on the friction plate even with the hydraulics were functioning. If the TOB came out of the snap ring, same thing.

If I had to take a wild swing in the dark I would say the PP is going to be the problem, but only the snap ring. I have no idea if its possible to change that, I would guess no.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM

ok well i almost got finished with the car today. I just took everything out and took the entire clutch kit back and exchanged it. The tob was still in the snap ring but scrubbed the metal on the disc. what I think happend was the last time i installed the tob onto the fork i didn't lock it in place by replacing the slave cylinder handle immediatly after installing the tob. So my guess is while putting the tranny back together the tob slipped of the fork and didn't install properly for some reason I don't know.

Also the shard you was talking about is very intersting because i found a large shard inside of the tranny when i pulled it apart but could not find where it came from. Everything in the case looked good. So maybe thats just a coincidece. But I will let you know how everything works out tomorrow after i complete the job.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Ok finished putting car back together today. Everything works smoothly. The gear go in smoother than they ever did. I think taking time and making sure TOB is secure and is locked in with the slave cylinder handle before attempting to put the tranny back together. But thanks for all the help guys i was thinking something hydraulic, but you guys were right all long with the TOB. Much needed advice.