Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

guys who have done the swap

Old 05-11-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guys who have done the swap

i'm about to get underway w/ my auto to 5 speed swap, and i was have a couple of questions.

1)when installing the pedals...did you have to take out the steering rack...i dont' think i'll have to...but just wondering.

2)did you have to drill a hole in the firewall to install the master cylinder/clutch pedal? It looks like i have to. any clearance issues? and where exactly do i have to drill/what would be the best thing to use? I have a drill that i could use. or would a dremel be best?
Old 05-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

#1 No

#2. There is a "indentation" the firewall where the clutch cylider goes. You'll know where to drill once you get the dash out of the way. A nomrmal drill works best to get through the firewall, then use the dremel for "clean up" work around the edges of the hole.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Random:
nomrmal
Too many Coronas Tony?

lol moon

HTM, good to see you are finally getting to do it man. You won't be dissapointed. I almost didn't ever look at the Tib again after the first one I drove, it was an Auto. Then, I finally got to try the 5 speed.

You'll love it.

Let me know if you need any help searching for stuff on here.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:51 PM

alright...i've got the lower dash out of the way...but i've got to go to work. sad.gif i'm trying to get this done on one of the most hellacious work schedules i've ever had. owned
Old 05-13-2003, 06:51 AM

Putting in the clutch pedal and brake pedal is the easiest part of the swap smile.gif

Drill + Hole sole for clutch pedal and shifter cables.

then a nice rotary tool with a sander to clean it up.

I did not use a drill at all. i used a dremel, takes ALOT longer, but can be done.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:29 PM

when you get under the dash, you'll see an outline for the master cylinder. it looks like you could almost punch it out, but it doesn't work like that. i just used a dremel. spend the extra money and buy the fiberglass reinforced cutting elements. they're more expensive, but it takes a hell of a lot more to break them. i went through about 4 normal blades per 1 reinforced blade on the dremel. the same goes for the shift cable hole... dremel. like shadohh, i used a dremel. i could see a drill being easier. but use whatever you have handy. good luck!
Old 05-13-2003, 03:06 PM

how hard was it to get the shifter cables drilled (in terms of how hard to get to? should i go from the inside or out? looks easier to go from outside

also, it came w/ a brand new clutch....but the flywheel bolts are in it, and it's assembled. i'm gonna use this clutch....do i need ot disassemble it to put the flywheel bolts in?

[ May 13, 2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: HTM Tiburon ]