Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

clutchmaster clutches

Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Originally Posted by tdonnell
Hello! I'm an old member from RDTiburon and don't post here much or that often, but I can give you some experiences I've had with ClutchMasters...

I've had both a Stage 1 CM and Stage 4 (6 puck sprung hub) CM clutch in the car. Currently I still have the Stage 4 (mated to a Fidanza flywheel) and it's been through absolute hell. I've made about 40 passes at the track (doing 2nd gear burnouts in the pit with drag radials), side-stepped the clutch in 2nd more times than I'd like to admit and generally beat the hell out of the car whenever I drive it (it's what I built it for so why not!?). It's held up admirably but I'm not sure how long it has left. I overheated it a few times at the strip last time I was there. Car spins through third gear in the winter months and the clutch holds every bit of the power. I recently installed a Quaife differential as I blew up 4 transmissions due to diff failure in the past (definitely the weak link). Putting down 325 whp and 315 tq. Ran 12.0 @ 121 mph just to give you an idea of the power level etc. I'll probably have to convert to a push-type clutch if I have to replace the Stage 4 CM as pull-types can only hold so much.

You'll be happy with the clutch without a doubt.

Best of luck!

hey!! good to see that screen name still around!

from what i understand from the CM rep i talked to, all the pressure plates are rated for the same pressure. the only difference is the disk.

the only thing i did not like about a pucked disc is stop and go traffic. once you were moving tho...2nd 3rd and 4th shifts are improved substantially.

so with that said, im going to go with the stage 3. should be ideal for the future of the car.

even tho i called the XTRM a POS, i was still learning a perfect shift at the strip, so im sure i overheated it once or thrice....

also, what i have been dealing with is a XTRM flywheel that was resurfaced.... ...but it seems that the mechanic took off too much material, which moved the leverage point of the entire clutch system. my engagement point is like 2 inches DOWN the pedal. ive learned to like it, as soft swift kicks to the clutch get the job done, i dont have to go to the floor for full disengagement, but i cant "ride the clutch pedal" in the least bit, or it will disengage the clutch and slip.

so i did the trans swap this weekend, and first and second gear are noticeably torque-ier. very much worth the swap from the original beta1 transmission !!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:18 PM

the Lucas 75W-90 synthetic feels very nice in this 06 elantra trans with 7k miles on it. i dont know who gave Lucas a bad rap, but its pretty decent thus far. i havent driven hard on it... yet, maybe in a few hundred miles, so i cant confirm what it feels like under heavy pressure and heat. nor have i driven on a really hot day... so ill have to report back.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Did you end up going with the clutchmaster? I'm debating this same decision, I had an ACT and absolutely loved it! only reason it's not in now is the throwout bear wouldn't stay in after swapping the trans, i think the ring broke when i pulled it out. and then i lost the pressure plate i still have the disk though. I'm leaning towards clutchmaster because they claim 170% over stock vs ACT at 50%. I'm turbo'd right now and plan to up the boost to 12 then do an engine build next summer. The act lists the limit at 303 ftlb, what would that put the limit at for the FX400 (6 puck sprung)?

one a side note, i tried lucas oil and had grinding issues from day one. but i am using a 1.8 elantra trans. maybe the internal materials are different?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM

nope, stayed stock for now. but i will have a C.M. stage 3 very soon.