Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Clutch chattering when its cold

Old 12-12-2014, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Genesis 2.0 R-Spec
Default Clutch chattering when its cold

I dont know if this is normal but my clutch appears to chatter a lot when it's cold out. When I start driving and it heats up, the chatter goes away. I'm still on the factory clutch and flywheel, so does that happen to other people or should I have some concern? It never did that until maybe about a month ago. The clutch has 48K on it.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

did you have the car last winter?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Genesis 2.0 R-Spec

Yeah, this is my 3rd winter for it.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

:shrug: I never heard of this, but apparently this is a thing with Subarus and Jeeps, that even new-ish cars will have chatter on humid, cold days. One guy said he had bad flywheels but most people either shrug it off as normal or else guess they need a stronger PP and shrug it off as normal for a stock clutch (designed to be smooth and barely more than powerful enough for a stock engine). If you don't mind leaving the car with a dealer overnight, they could duplicate it in the morning; otherwise there's not much for it but to pull the clutch out yourself and inspect it. As long as it will still hold fast when it's warmed up I'd say don't sweat it.