Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Better to rebuild transmission or just buy a new one?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tib - Beta
Default Better to rebuild transmission or just buy a new one?

My 2nd and 3rd gears are giving a crunch which I suspect to be bad syncros. I need a new clutch also since its starting to slip. Ive put Redline MT90 in and it didnt seem to help any. I can get a new-ish transmission for $300 that only has 17,000 miles on it. Is it better to just buy that or should I get new syncros and rebuild the tranny? I have someone will do either rebuild or install for just a case of beer on a free weekend so labor isnt a problem.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Eh, just replace it. Give the busted trans to your mate so he can fix it up and sell it if he is so able.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Replace it
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The answer really depends on the number of mods you support or plan to in the future. In the lifetime of you tib you will progressively chew through transmissions if you enjoy any level of spirited driving, but a good rebuild with shotpeened and/or cryoed internals will last MUCH longer. It's not cheep or quick, but if you've got a buddy, a case of good beer and can spare some down time, get that trans rebuilt, toss some money at the issue and have a much more reliable ride. Plus if you, like me, are planning any kind of power increases this this damn near a must imho. The most pricey bit will be the differential and clutch , everything else is just a couple hundred bucks and a lot of the stock components can be reused so long as they remain in good condition.

It's that or expect to replace the trans every once in a while. They're cheap enough it not a huge deal financially, just a pain to deal with periodic breakdowns.