Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

beta gearbox in 03 accent?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost
Default beta gearbox in 03 accent?

howdy howdy,

ok, this has probably been asked before but i cant find it...

Has it or can it be done, G4ED (1.6l alpha) accent motor and a beta gearbox?

Before you say change to a full beta setup, its not what i want to do or occumplish from my goal, however I constantly hear that the beta box is so much more stronger than the alpha box, is there parts that are a straight bolt in, upgrade and can handle 300hpatw?

* Particular beta box???
* What would be needed
* What upgrades are there
* Speedo calibration

Also this a manual car... Also electronic speedo.

Cheers Ryan
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

you can run a alpha trans on a beta so one can assume you can do it in reverse

BUT

i think youll have to modify your axles to make it work im sure someone else will chime in as to what you need to do
Old 10-01-2010, 05:27 PM

well i'm building this motor to be around 500hp at the flywheel so hence why i need this setup to be able to cope. Seeing as there are so many beta conversions going on i thought there would of been more of a response... Anyone else chime in please.

faith - I think your right, I will need different driveshafts.

Cheers Ryan
Old 10-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I compared the 2002 1.5L manual trans from an accent to a 2002 manual beta trans (elantra) and there almost identical. Mounting spots for them are the same as far as the brackets go, use your accent brackets. You will need to drill a hole on the left side bracket for the clutch slave cylinder to fit. Also use the shifter bracket from your accent that mounts to the trans shifter or the cables wont work correctly. The area were the axles go in is 1/2 wider overall on the beta trans... 1/4 inch each side so I think your axles should be fine but they will not lock in as the input shaft on the axles are slightly shorter. I used axle from a late 90's elentra (auto) on the right side and a 2002 accent (auto) for the left side as they are long enough to click in. Also since I shoved everything 1/4 closer to the left side the accent axle helped out. overall length is the same but since the axle is slightly longer on the input shaft (1/4 inch) it gave the effect of the axle being 1/4 shorter after putting it in the trans. Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 PM

QUOTE (HotBlue02 @ Oct 2 2010, 09:54 AM)
I compared the 2002 1.5L manual trans from an accent to a 2002 manual beta trans (elantra) and there almost identical. Mounting spots for them are the same as far as the brackets go, use your accent brackets. You will need to drill a hole on the left side bracket for the clutch slave cylinder to fit. Also use the shifter bracket from your accent that mounts to the trans shifter or the cables wont work correctly. The area were the axles go in is 1/2 wider overall on the beta trans... 1/4 inch each side so I think your axles should be fine but they will not lock in as the input shaft on the axles are slightly shorter. I used axle from a late 90's elentra (auto) on the right side and a 2002 accent (auto) for the left side as they are long enough to click in. Also since I shoved everything 1/4 closer to the left side the accent axle helped out. overall length is the same but since the axle is slightly longer on the input shaft (1/4 inch) it gave the effect of the axle being 1/4 shorter after putting it in the trans. Hope this helps.

so are you running a alpha motor and a beta box?
Old 10-02-2010, 04:22 PM

No beta motor, beta trans and beta ecu. It should fit, its been done before.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 PM

ok, what clutch/flywheel do i use?

Also the main issue, the LC2 i have has an electronic speedo - not cable so which box do i use, and how do i calibrate it to be accurate again?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 PM

The beta trans I used was also an electronic speedo, I had to wire in a LC2 gauge cluster cuz my LC was cable driven. Im thinking you wanna use the beta clutch an flywheel but I dont know for sure.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 PM

ok so my accent is an lc2... did you have to calibrate the speedo or was it plug and play and rear the right speed?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Well I will tell ya with my little stock 13 inch steel wheels the speedo was off by around 5 mph, indicated a faster speed then you were actually going. This problem was corrected with the 16 inch wheels im running with 205/50 tires.