Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Race Track

Old 05-05-2006, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

hey guys, I'll be going to Shannonville race track for the first time next Saturday

I'd like to get some advices from you guys...

I've seen people taping up their front bumper and body around the wheels...is it necessary?

other performance-related advices?

thanks!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:37 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

What a coincidence I'll be at Phoenix International, working though.. 02.gif

The tape is for blocking rock chips and debris. If you don't want them I'd suggest at least taping your headlights. Use only painters tape, no masking, duct, scotch. lol.gif Painter's tape leaves no residue

Bring your own helmet. PREP your car. Depending on how long you will be running, change the oil BEFORE you race. Check all fluids, tires, do a little tech inspection yourself so you don't get surprised at the track.

Tips on racing, the main thing I have to say is get INSTRUCTION. Have someone go with you (a veteran) and sit shotty. Hell even let them drive your car and see it's limits. If there is NASA sponsered HPDE instructors there they will teach you things you never knew your car could do. Listen and learn. Maybe go on a few runs yourself once you find the line of the track.

SMOOTH turns of the steering wheel. This isn't autocross no jerky 30, 40 50 degree deflections, smoothly roll into a turn hit the apex smoothly roll out. You want to optimize traction every second you have on your lap(s).
Don't worry about going balls to the wall your first run(s). Just get used to the track, the way things work, and learn the line.

Also review your flags. This event should have workers who will flag you if somethings wrong.
A basic rundown

RED-Stop everything, someone is dying (no joke).
YELLOW(standing)-Use Caution (someone spun out ahead, cold track, etc.)
YELLOW(waving)-Slow Down now and continue on track.
DOUBLE YELLOW(standing)-used at the beginning of a race to exercise caution
BLACK-Pit Flag, OR (more importantly) pit your car. If this flag is pointed directly at you and waved it means they want you off the track for a variety of reasons. You are leaking something, your car's not working someone, you didn't follow rules, etc.
BLUE WITH DIAGONAL ORANGE STRIPE-passing flag, means sllow down and let the faster guy behind you pass already!
Yellow, Red, Black Flag (three horixontal strips) - debris on track, use caution.

G'luck! wink1.gif
Old 05-05-2006, 08:13 AM

wow that's rather a thorough answer to my question! thanks...just what i needed cool.gif cool.gif
Old 05-05-2006, 10:57 AM

By prepping the car, also include weight reduction (back seat, spare tire, ...), check tire pressure and a good wheel alignement with at least 1.25deg of camber to all wheels. Bring tools and spare parts if you have some (hoses, fuses, brake pads,...).

One important and imperative rule : Do not modify tour car in any way 1 week before your track day. Everything that you want to do, do it before. During that week, just make sure everything is working great.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>wow that's rather a thorough answer to my question! thanks...just what i needed cool.gif cool.gif</div>
no problem, it's what we do here.

So how was it? I just got back and damn am I exhausted. 18 hours in the Phoenix sun and you'd be dead too. Lol, I think i got sunburnt for the first time ever. But on Sunday I got "promoted" to Race Control so I got to work in the tower at PIR in an air conditioned booth with nice seats and a full few of the track (through Nascar's turn 4). It was a nice experience, now I am qualified to be Race Control all on my own.

I hope your racing experience was as good as mine was this weeked.
Good things to come
-We (as Embry-Riddle Racing) will most likely get a Human Interest article printed in Grassroots Racing Magazine with our picture and story. saweeeet!

-We will be sponsored by Nasa (National Auto Sport Association, not the space freaks) as a club and will get PAID to work every event as well as some free track time thrown our way. Hotels comped at the Marriot in Avondale and DoubleTree in Mesa (mmm)... Free pool...

Bad things to come of this weekend. I broke my laptop in the hotel room and can't upload all the cool pictures and videos of the drifters I took. !!

wink1.gif Hope you did well mang!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:18 AM

Pat, the race was last saturday...you were a week off tongue.gif

anyways, it was great!! although i wished i had more power and control on my tibby.
now i know why people race in hondas and subarus...those things are damn fast!

one guy brought a stock S2000, and i got to ride with him....one thing i could say? dayuuuum!
that car handles like a dream fing02.gif i was so amazed....

anyhow, i'm still resizing the pics. there were mostly civics on the track, and apparently they were all amateurs/beginners. pics coming later today!!

no flags btw, since it was a privately-run event mostly for beginners.
oh, and my friend who took AutoX course a couple of weeks ago sat shotty with me and taught me how to take turns and things. i was actually getting better at the end smile.gif
Old 05-15-2006, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I would put more pressure than you think you will use first. Ive found I run 40 in the front and 45 in the rear (more used tires in rear). This makes the rear loose when you trail break. Its alot of driver skill and tires on the track.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:41 AM

^^^
i think my tire says max psi = 45, so wouldn't leaving it at 45psi be a little dangerous?? just a thought...
but yeah, let me try higher tire pressure next time cool.gif

anyways, here are some of the pictures!!

some videos!!

mvi_2122.avi
mvi_2123.avi