Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

oil control

Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 05 Tiburon 4 cylinder
Default oil control

Is the stock oil pan provide good oil control for autocrossing? I know if I am going to go road racing I should probably get a baffled oil pan, but for now I just want to autocross. Do I need to overfill? I dont want to blow my engine because of oil starvation.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i have NEVER heard of a beta engine dying from oil starvation.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

the oil pan on hyundai beta I and II's have a deep yet narrow boxed oil sump so enough oil doesn't slosh enough to one side to cause the oil pickup tube to pick up air..

opposite example..say a dodge neon with a shallow yet very wide pan length..good example of oil sloshing to one side enough to starve the oil pick up tube..<< not good design, being low on oil is imminent to engine failure.

probably the only time oil starvation could occur is if you take the car out to the track and don't check the oil level.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I have seen it cause issues, although not nearly as often as the Alpha or Delta.

Run a half a quart overfilled and you should be fine as long as you don't have slicks and stock suspension.