Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

My First Drag Race!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just stripped the sound system, carpeting, and back seats out of my car and am currently getting ready to go to my first drag race tonight at 5pm at the Cecil county dragway in Maryland!

THe total weight loss was about 140Ibs so we'll see what my best time is smile.gif
Wish me luck!
Will post time slip later
Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 2000 carbon tiburon

Sweet have fun and look forward to seeing some good slips.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 PM

Took videos of 3 of my races, lost everytime, lmao. Can't beat a V8 mustang or a GTO or a camero. laugh.gif
fastest of four drags was a 15.6 at 86mph. The other three times were 15.9,15.7,15.8

Not too shabby I guess.

What could help lower these times the best?

215/50/15 tires? Or trying to drop more weight out of the car? Or adding power mods? I'm looking to keep the tib N/A so I can think of much I can do to get a good increase. I might due cams and cam gears next and go get it tuned.

http://www.youtube.com/CudaJoe85

Here's some videos of my run!, THe run against the mustang was my best run. The run by myself sounded the best, lol. I posted the time slip in the 1/4 track time forum.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned

not bad times actually.. what is the SR CAI look like? where does it get the air from? engine bay or fender well?

go for more power mods to get better times. moderate 'stripping' of in car stuff will only do so much for you. if you take the pass seat, spare tire, jack out, it will help you a little bit.

what tires do you have on it now? you COULD get some slicks on there, but it will be pretty much waste of money until your pushing REAL power.

stiffer suspension will also help a bit.

what type of times are you aiming for? that can help me actually recommend a good setup to reach your goals.

if you get cams and cam gears, you should get some management to tune the car to get power out of the cams.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 PM

I think I would be happy to get 15.0 sec easy on a N/A setup. So I guess I would need the slicks, and if I launch at a higher rpm than 3000 I should get a better clutch? Also should probably get lighter weight rims and a flywheel?

Oh and the shark Racing CAI is a pile of crap. Terrible fitting. I made my own vacuum hoses so that they would fit. and I did have it through the fender wall but a lowered car can pose a problem with that soo.... I sawsalled the tube until the filter sat just at the tranny. The SR CAI does come with the 3" elbow tube after the throttle body. I also tried to ametuerly paint it black too.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

ahh.. to get a flat 15.0.. get some nice drag radials, or even some really nice street tires, and you should have enough traction to get you there. slicks would be majorly pointless lol. and people would laugh..

i would say get cams, and a decent way to tune.. SAFC II will probably suffice.. you should be able to get your flat 15.

do you have any TB or IM work done? if not, get a 58mm bored TB from denis, and have someone do your IM, like compact divisions, or me smile.gif

some mild headwork (mild port and polish) should really help you out.

with the following you should be able to dip in the high 14s, and not spend a TON

KFX cams
bored TB
mild IM work
slight porting work on the head, and polish/clean it up
SAFC II

only part i would skip if you dont wanna get real involved is the head work, but with the other stuff, you should be able to acheive your goals. fing02.gif
Old 10-25-2008, 03:18 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You may already know all of this info I'm going to give you, but this is a "first time" thread.

It's a manual right? Just keep your foot to the gas all the time. Don't worry about your rev limiter. The RPMs can bounce off of it a couple of times without causing damage to your engine. Use your clutch only. Keep your RPMs in the power band and only let off the gas to decrease RPM if you think you're going to grind. You're basically using your clutch like a gear. The engine stays in the power range the entire time and the car is brought up to the engine's speed instead of driving granny style where you match the RPM. This method is very very very hard on the clutch/flywheel/engine/motor mounts... hell, it's hard on the car. That's how you do it to win though. Pro drag racers have the money and time to replace their clutches often and keep their car in good condition.

This is the reason I've decided that I'm getting a 6 puck clutch. It increases cooling and decreases warpage. It may be harder to drive on the street, but it has more longevity.

Here's a good article about it http://www.ehow.com/video_2047376_race-man...ission-car.html

For a automatic, just floor it with the brake pressed and then let go. The car will do the rest

I think our cars do better in 1/4th mile then 1/8 mile because of the slow shifting between 1st and 2nd and the power to weight ratio. We could use better synchros and the takeoffs in a FWD car suck because the car leans to the rear and removes weight from the front wheels.

Good time. You did well especially for a first time. Do you have a mods list posted somewhere?
Old 10-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

its in his sig lol
Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 PM

Its in my sig, and I also posted in the Fastest time thread for 1/4 mile times http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...20&start=20

Hmm where can I find an SAFC 2 for our cars? And If I wanted to get the intake manifold worked on, I would be stuck without a drivable car so thats a prob, lol. Anyone selling a Beta IM?

Also If I got cams would it be a good idea to get the tunable cam gears?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:26 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

about that reaction time... http://i37.tinypic.com/se0ug7.jpg How did the other guy wait 1.4 seconds and then appear after then 60' mark? Or do they start the time per lane after the R/T?