Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Going Racing

Old 04-20-2004, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K Tib

Well sorta. I'm going to Portland Intl Raceway for a "driver's education" day with the Oregon Porsche folks. Should come away with a good feel for the Quest suspension, if I don't crash the car.

Yes, I'm washing the car before I drive down. I know it's vain but I want to put my best foot forward for the Porsche guys. I'd like them to walk away at the end of the day thinking..."Hmm, hyundai?!"

hehe.

Wish me luck.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:55 PM

KEWL!
Take LOTSA PIX!!!!
I wanna see the TIb in action. Especially the roll or lack of it when you're cornering!
Have fun!
laugh.gif
Old 04-20-2004, 08:57 PM

:? how can I take pictures from outside the car and drive it at the same time? lol.gif
Old 04-20-2004, 09:10 PM

take someone with ya man... just to hang out and take pics if they could....

it sounds like its gonna be a blast... have fun man
Old 04-23-2004, 09:59 PM

Default stock clutch

Sorry, no pics, I forgot the camera.

I got the suspension, alignment and tire pressures pretty much dialed in. Full writeup on the experience tomorrow. The car is solid with crisp turn-in but smooth control inputs are mandatory because the car at the limit can only be described as "twitchy".
Old 04-24-2004, 07:37 PM

the full writeup:

Recently I attended the Oregon PCA Driver's Ed day at Portland International Raceway. The plan was to get a couple hours of seat time with the new suspension and get some fine-tuning done. The plan came together but it was an interesting journey.

Class was on Friday, but because I needed to be there at 7am, I drove down from Tacoma on Thursday night. Good thing I did, too, as I-5 south closed at 2am on Friday morning for construction. Figuring out an interstate detour at 6am is not my idea of fun. Of course, I didn't get away unscathed by Murphy or his damnable laws. Leaving the cut-rate motel, I followed my computer-generated directions to the back gate of the PIR track. Essentially a dead end, I was left to my own devices. My devices being fresh coffee and a map, I found my way through 4 or 5 wrong turns to the track, arriving sans breakfast at 730am.

But before I get to the actual driving, I have to tell you about the motel. At 8pm, I walk up to the office door; note the "vacancy" and "open" signs and try to open a firmly locked door. A middle aged Indian man comes and motions me to the all-night bulletproof (and nearly sound proof) window, saying he is watching the office but can't rent me a room. Further he recommends I go to the hotel down the street to rent a room. Instead I went to get a sandwich and a coke and played a couple games of Cruizin' while I waited. I returned about 9pm to the hotel and rang the bell. A different but still middle-aged Indian man comes and has me fill out the registration card. After I check "credit card" under method of payment, he yells through the mostly soundproof window "cash only, no credit machine here." Ok, so off I go in search of an ATM machine. Mercifully, 15 minutes later I'm back again, to be served by a beautiful Indian woman who didn't smile at all. She exchanged my $45 for a key to room 10. Room 10 was pretty much what you'd expect from a cut-rate motel. Clean but Spartan furnishing, too much air freshener covering stale cigarette smoke, TV screwed down to the table, indoor/outdoor carpet…you get the idea. There was hot water and a comfortable bed, so I'm not complaining, especially since the heater worked.

So after my adventure getting to the track, I unpack and jump into the tech line. Processed, signed off, stamped, and stickered through registration, I stood around waiting for the driver's meeting. Safety this, flag that, if you've heard one, track driver's meeting, I guess you've heard them all. I'm not making light of the required safety stuff at all; it's just boring. I meet my instructor Scott and then wait some more for my turn on track.

Scott was a nice guy, and had a few good pointers. Unfortunately, my initial settings left the car very tail happy and miss timed braking going into turn 11 sent the back end around and sent me and Scott for a marginally controlled spinning slide to the grassy in-field. One black flag later, I'm in the pits explaining myself. After that first session I softened the rear struts. The results were satisfactory and after the 2nd session, sans instructor one more adjustment brought the car into as neutral a state as I can expect from a streetcar.

Running laps at Portland raceway is interesting. With 2 longish straights and plenty of curves, I was fast enough to hold my own position, except to the fastest cars. The fastest cars in my group being a Z06 corvette and a Porsche GT3, both driven by moderately skilled drivers. No shame in getting passed by a car with 300 more horses, that’s for sure. Anyway, the car was …well, it's hard to explain, the suspension was firm and gave excellent feedback. I always had a sense of where the car was and where it was going as well. Even during the spin I had enough feedback from the car to put in a correction and bring it under control. Once the adjustments to the suspension were made the balance was very good. Inducing over steer or under steer became a simple matter. Up to 110 MPH, the fastest I went, the car was firm and stable in the straights.

Stock braking was good, as usual and expected. Only minor brake management was needed to avoid fade throughout the day.

The alignment settings are nearly spot-on. With -1.8 degrees camber and zero toe up front, tire temps were 1-2 degrees higher on the outside edge and tread wear was even across the width of the tire. The rear is stuck with the factory camber setting (essentially zero) and a quarter degree of toe-in. Before anyone warns me about tire wear on the street, I'd like to point out that with the stock suspension, the front tires always wore more on the outside half anyway. I figure this will even things out just fine.

My one partial complaint is the Kuhmo MX tires. They offer excellent handling and predictable slip angle but no warning of the limit. They only began auditory protest after passing the limit. Possibly because of the higher speeds (and so noise level), I simply didn't hear the earlier protestations of the rubber. I had to drive by the feel of the tires most of the day, not necessarily a bad exercise for me.

All said and done, I had 2 full hours in the seat. The aggravation of traffic and the monetary expense was worth it. Definitely gave me a good sense of the car and gave me a baseline setting for the suspension and tires. I got everything I expected out of the day and then some.

Other cars that I saw there. Uncountable 911s and boxters. One silver GT3, one red Ferrari, one Mustang Mach 1, a 300ZX, 2 or 3 Subaru WRXs, an Audi A4. Everyone was nice but being a misanthrope, I didn't make any new friends. The Audi guy was parked next to me in the pits and completly fried his front left rotor and pads. The stink was righteous. A total of 3 adventures off track by different people but no car damage. I personally got 2 black flags, one for the spin and one for a late passing maneuver.

I've really gotta break out the G-tech and measure the max lateral g's again. If I'm going to keep doing track days, the car needs more power. Oink oink in the straights.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Gauge Pod And Turbo Timer

American Indians or Soutwest Asia Indians?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I had a Mercury Cougar that had an idling problem, I fried the brakes all the time driving them. Your right, that smell is crazy!
Old 04-25-2004, 12:09 PM

Indian...like from India the country. What's the right term for that part of the world? Asia?

Verbal description of a lap around PIR.

Acceleration down the 1/2 mile front straight, I'd reach 105-110 in 4th gear before entering the braking zone for turn 1. Beginning braking the 400 foot marker through 2 downshifts to 2nd gear for the 90 degree right hander at about 30 mph. A quick tap of the brakes then hard on the gas for the 130 degree left hander that is turn 2. Still hard on the gas, upshift to 3rd comes half-way through turn 3, a gentle right hander. Easy for me but I wouldn't want to try an upshift there with a highpower RWD. Stay hard on the gas up to redline in 3rd (80ish MPH) to the 150 foot marker, then half a second hard on the brakes to slow the car for the carosel that is turns 4 and 5. For initial turn in I slowed to 50 mph, then used throttle positioning of the car varying my speed between 55 and 60 to manuever through 4, 4a, and 5. Light braking into the sweeping left hand turn 6. Still in 3rd gear hard on the gas up to 75 before the braking zone for turn 7. Turn 7 is a medium right hander that required a downshift to 2nd for maximum acceleration onto the back straight. I hit 3rd for the gentle "S" formed by turn 8 and 9 and 4th for the majority of the back "straight" which is really a slight right hand turn. At 100-105, back on the break and a downshift to 3rd at 60 for turn 10 a slight left, another tap on the breaks for turn 11 just under 60, then brake and downshift to 2nd for turn 12 at 45-50 and then full throttle up through the gears on the front straight again. I didn't try to measure my lap times exactly but a little over a minute for the almost 2 mile course.

Link to map:
http://www.portlandraceway.com/map1.asp
Old 04-25-2004, 12:45 PM

awesome write up blue2000. a very good read. thanks man.

Can't wait to get my car on a track one day.