Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

F1 cans FRIC

Old 07-19-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win
Default F1 cans FRIC

What the hell is FRIC? Front Rear Inter-Connected suspension. Duh!

To grossly oversimplify the technology, basically it's vein that connects the front and rear suspensions equalizing the pressure on all 4 corners simultaneously.

Or you can read the actual FIA docs that probably describe the tech WAY better than I could ever. http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/7/16087.html

Why are they going away with this? Well, they think it's going to help other teams actually compete with Mercedes for the remainder of the season. And they might be half right! I'm a huge Hamilton fan, but after his crash during qualifying this weekend it seems another 1-2 finish is not in the cards this weekend sadly. Especially if he has to start from pitlane as many fear. Officially the cause of the accident was brake failure, not that this is a new development for Mercedes this season. However I and many other F1 fans have to question how the removal of the FRIC systems mid-season has affected braking and cornering, especially on the new brake by wire systems. In reality there are several reasons FIA has actually given (on record) for outlawing the suspension management system. But the move to ban them mid-season, especially with one team dominating the way Mercedes has this year, sends a very obvious message. I personally am all for making the field more competitive, but Mercedes got FIA approval for its game changing turbo technology. In the mean time many other teams have rushed to replicate that design with Williams this far being the only other team to incorporate split turbos. However not even that was able to prove a threat to Mercedes superiority. Now it seems that the FIA is banking on anything that will help the competition catch up to the silver arrows. The move came just after officials with the Hockenheimring demanded the devices nullified for the German GP this weekend.

So what will be the result of this change? I guess we'll know in a few hours. But I'd like to see what other think of this move too
Old 07-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Make 'em run NASCRAP engines. That'll slow 'em down.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

These cars are already atrocious sounding and quiet compared to the screaming 18,000 RPM V8s. Why would you want to neuter them?