Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Drag Race Results

Old 07-26-2005, 07:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Anything above a 2.3 60' is horrible. Get some better tires and work on the launch.

The third Civic was turbocharged with the intercooler in front. He was obviously messing around with you looking at his timeslip. He had a very decent launch with a 2.1. Then somehow he let off before the 1/8th, cause that was horrible with a 10. Then all the sudden he traps 101mph. owned.gif
I'm willing to bet he actually runs 13's.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Might have missed a gear, but you never know... either way yes, you did get beasted on by a turbocharged Civic. lmao.gif

But find yourself a nice stretch of deserted road, and launch the car a few times, after every launch drive the car at normal speed for a while to let the clutch get back in shape. Idling isn't good idea.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the input. From the sounds of it I just need to practice more on the launch and do something with my tires/rims. I am not sure the weight of the rims I have now, but it would be better to get lighter ones if I got into drag racing more. I am racking up a lot of miles so I don't do it that much.

Do the size make a difference too, like between a 16 and 17"? I don't have the space to keep a second set, so if that was the problem I would have to just buy another set.

Here are someother pics that I took while I was there:
Sorry for the quality of some of the pics. I also have a couple videos that I need to upload later.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

the difference between the two sizes of wheel are the weight

those 17s must be heavy
Old 07-26-2005, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

WHAA! I've never seen a skate shoe company sponsor a car! Sweet!

I feel your pain. I went to the drag strip with my 17's on and in need of an oil change/plugs and got 16.3-16.5 my first few runs. Bad launches and 2.3 second 60' times. But after a few runs and getting used to the track I got a 15.7 and could get into the low 15's with just an oil change and plugs I believe.

I will try to get my stock wheels put back on and shoot for high 14's.

question:
Is switching to stock rims only advantageous on the front wheels (FWD) or just do all four. I mean all the back wheels do is roll and keep the car straight really.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:14 PM

firebug, at least you don't got 18" wheels like that Civic in the last pic lmao.gif I hope he has something cookin' under the hood to compensate for that

But yes, it is crazy how each extra pound that you have on your wheels adds up to an enormous amount of static weight! I'll be dropping nearly 10 pounds each wheel which is crazy. Ask people who have switched their heavy wheels with lighter ones; the effect is noticeable acceleration and performance. I know that my acceleration will definitely improve, especially off the line, and so will yours!

Why do you think forged wheels are the new trend? Because they're lighter and stonger (but this isn't always the case wink1.gif ) I'm pretty sure that in the near future the car industry will soon be marketing composite wheels. These are EXTREMELY lightweight AND built for long term road-use unlike magnesium wheels as used on Formula 1 cars and what have you, which are very lightweight but compromise long term road-use.

My guess is that your wheels weigh anywhere between 20-25 lbs. That is not good. <strike>We are slowly learning</strike> We HAVE learned that big/heavy wheels are not the way to go. Last suggestion is to hit up the track when it gets cooler out. Your car is potentially a mid-15 second one; not a high-16. An auto Tib should tackle a mid-16 with the mods you have.

Hmmmm. Have you even installed your crank pulley yet? Your garage says you have but your sig doesn't. tongue.gif

Patreezy, stock rims will be advantageous on all four. Like I said, each pound on any of your wheels = static weight. Either way, switching to stock rims IS going to be lighter. Do you know how much the stockers weigh?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

well, I have my stockers but only two of them have good tread left. So I figured I'd put the good tread on the fronts and leave the 17's on the back (brand new tires). Otherwise, I'll have back traction in the back....

My 17's weigh only about 18.5 pounds (w/0 tires), how much are the stock rims?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:43 PM

Just searched. Stockers weigh in @ 16 lbs. KINDA heavy for the size. But probably still a vast improvement over any heavyweight 17". My 17's weigh 19.2 and IMO that's heavy as shite.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:03 PM

^
Make it 18.5-19lbs for stockies. They are very heavy.

Patreezy, what have you done to your car that you think will get you into 14s? Just curious.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yesh, I agree... from holding the stock wheels\tires I would guesstimate 18-20 pounds myself. Definately not lightweight at all.