Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Do skinnys make a big difference?

Old 12-09-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Default Do skinnys make a big difference?

I know the big block monsters that run the drags use skinnys on the front of their car but for regular street driven cars, do they make any type of big difference? Does anyone on here use them on their car? Ive even seen FWD cars with them in the rear.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

They use them on drag cars because their only job is to make minor steering corrections and hold the front of the car off the ground.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Originally Posted by i8acobra
They use them on drag cars because their only job is to make minor steering corrections and hold the front of the car off the ground.
Wrong! They use them for weight reduction and less drag, for both aerodynamics and friction. You can see a 1-2/10th difference in the 1/4. But, it's not a cost effective upgrade. That's why it's seen mostly on sub 10 second cars trying to squeeze every tenth.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Wrong! They use them for weight reduction and less drag, for both aerodynamics and friction. You can see a 1-2/10th difference in the 1/4. But, it's not a cost effective upgrade. That's why it's seen mostly on sub 10 second cars trying to squeeze every tenth.

It's only wrong if you read my response as "The reason why they use them on drag cars....", and not as I intended it... "They use them on drag cars ,and not street cars,...". Obviously the reason why they run them on drag cars isn't to make small corrections, you can do that with any tire. That's the reason why they run them on drag cars and not street cars, which is what the OP was asking about.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:20 AM

How can you possibly use skinnies on the street? They drive like sh*t, not to mention HIGHLY illegal. You wouldn't make it past the first officer and get your car towed. I've never seen anyone with skinnies on the street.

OP, is this what you are asking???
Old 12-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JonGTR
How can you possibly use skinnies on the street? They drive like sh*t, not to mention HIGHLY illegal. You wouldn't make it past the first officer and get your car towed. I've never seen anyone with skinnies on the street.

OP, is this what you are asking???

My roommate drove on them. This is his car in the exact configuration he drove it on the street. Never got a ticket.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/the-...ime_717245.htm

He only drove it when he was looking for races though. Handled like crap due to skinnies, rear spool and no front swaybar. Hence the reason I wouldn't use them on a regualar street driven car.

This is what the OP asked...

Originally Posted by hyundairacer58
I know the big block monsters that run the drags use skinnys on the front of their car but for regular street driven cars, do they make any type of big difference?

He clearly asked about using them on "regular street driven cars". They do make a difference on drag cars, but a regular street driven car has to do more than go straight. You could put them on your street car when you got to the track, then swap them back out, but that's a whole lot of work for not much gain.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant street cars using them at the track, not on the streets and if it made any difference with them. Street driven cars are most likely not running 11s or 10s so going by the answers I saw here I assume they wont make any difference at all for a car that might be running 14s, 13s or 12s
Old 12-13-2015, 11:49 AM

They will make a difference on a 14 second car, but not as much as a turbo build. They have a low hp per $ ratio.