Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Race Wars (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/race-wars-89/)
-   -   Do skinnys make a big difference? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/race-wars-89/do-skinnys-make-big-difference-80186/)

hyundairacer58 12-09-2015 04:22 PM

Do skinnys make a big difference?

I know the big block monsters that run the drags use skinnys on the front of their car but for regular street driven cars, do they make any type of big difference? Does anyone on here use them on their car? Ive even seen FWD cars with them in the rear. :Paranoid2:

i8acobra 12-09-2015 06:28 PM

They use them on drag cars because their only job is to make minor steering corrections and hold the front of the car off the ground.

JonGTR 12-10-2015 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by i8acobra (Post 708468)
They use them on drag cars because their only job is to make minor steering corrections and hold the front of the car off the ground.

Wrong! They use them for weight reduction and less drag, for both aerodynamics and friction. You can see a 1-2/10th difference in the 1/4. But, it's not a cost effective upgrade. That's why it's seen mostly on sub 10 second cars trying to squeeze every tenth.

i8acobra 12-10-2015 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by JonGTR (Post 708473)
Wrong! They use them for weight reduction and less drag, for both aerodynamics and friction. You can see a 1-2/10th difference in the 1/4. But, it's not a cost effective upgrade. That's why it's seen mostly on sub 10 second cars trying to squeeze every tenth.

It's only wrong if you read my response as "The reason why they use them on drag cars....", and not as I intended it... "They use them on drag cars ,and not street cars,...". Obviously the reason why they run them on drag cars isn't to make small corrections, you can do that with any tire. That's the reason why they run them on drag cars and not street cars, which is what the OP was asking about.

JonGTR 12-11-2015 06:20 AM

How can you possibly use skinnies on the street? They drive like sh*t, not to mention HIGHLY illegal. You wouldn't make it past the first officer and get your car towed. I've never seen anyone with skinnies on the street.

OP, is this what you are asking???

i8acobra 12-11-2015 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JonGTR (Post 708492)
How can you possibly use skinnies on the street? They drive like sh*t, not to mention HIGHLY illegal. You wouldn't make it past the first officer and get your car towed. I've never seen anyone with skinnies on the street.

OP, is this what you are asking???

My roommate drove on them. This is his car in the exact configuration he drove it on the street. Never got a ticket.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/the-...ime_717245.htm

He only drove it when he was looking for races though. Handled like crap due to skinnies, rear spool and no front swaybar. Hence the reason I wouldn't use them on a regualar street driven car.

This is what the OP asked...

Originally Posted by hyundairacer58 (Post 708462)
I know the big block monsters that run the drags use skinnys on the front of their car but for regular street driven cars, do they make any type of big difference?

He clearly asked about using them on "regular street driven cars". They do make a difference on drag cars, but a regular street driven car has to do more than go straight. You could put them on your street car when you got to the track, then swap them back out, but that's a whole lot of work for not much gain.

hyundairacer58 12-13-2015 10:18 AM

Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant street cars using them at the track, not on the streets and if it made any difference with them. Street driven cars are most likely not running 11s or 10s so going by the answers I saw here I assume they wont make any difference at all for a car that might be running 14s, 13s or 12s

JonGTR 12-13-2015 11:49 AM

They will make a difference on a 14 second car, but not as much as a turbo build. They have a low hp per $ ratio.