Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Better auto steering fluid for auto-x

Old 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent
Default Better auto steering fluid for auto-x

Wondering if theres a better type of auto steering fluid out there to use if you plan on doing auto-x alot? You would think there would be, since the regular OEM fluid wouldnt hold up as well. huh.gif
Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I don't think it will help much. There are premium brands, etc. but the power steering fluid doesn't get as overworked as most other fluids do.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Thumbs down

Power steering fluid is NOT universal, despite what you read on the side of the bottle that might claim "meets all OEM SPECS".
Stick with the "type" recommended by your car maker. I've seen several Power Steering Pump failures from use of cheap 'generic universal' ps Fluid found @ your local schep boys/aw sucks/o'reily auto parts stores.

There are 2 problems with power steering fluid. Heat and Cavitation (bubbles in fluid). You can add a power steering line cooler if your power steering temps are abnormally high, (but if you're not checking them, how do you know?) Or if you have lots of air bubbles in the fluid, you've got cavitation issues, and in which case, a flush/fill with the proper fluid should solve that problem. If it doesn't, have the pump checked out before investing in $16 a quart amzoil super uber synthetic baby fat power steering fluid. Chances are the problem is in the pump itself, not the fluid.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i <3 random
Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As part of my State-mandated reconnection of the power steering system in my car, I'm going to try to go with an aftermarket PS oil cooler which I scored free at work. I am a little surprised that so few Hyundai owners have ever said they did this, but I guess it is a reflection of how few Hyundai people do autox.

Note: bubbles could also be from boiling, which you might actually be able to see if you check the reservoir right after a LOT of hard steering. It is easy enough (not necessarily cheap) to set up a thermocouple on your PS lines to monitor temperature, if you suspect you are cooking the fluid.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

Stocker
You don't know if you have a problem with heat...unless you're activley measuring your PS fluid temp during normal driving then @ it's worst (on a autocross run would qualify).
And I hate to disagree with you, but I'm going to do it anyway. That's how I roll! angel.gif

I have never, EVER seen/experienced or even HEARD OF Power steering fluid getting hot enough to BOIL.
If you have power steerting fluid that is boiling, you've got a bad power sterring system that has allowed vast amounts of water to absorb into the theoretically closed system of a power steering resovoir/tank lines/pump, or you have a totally FUBAR'd PS System that is heating that fluid way, way way too much.

Powersteering fluid BOILS at between 425+ Degrees. Think about it, you just brought 2-3 quarts of fluid to 425+ degrees, so you took 2-3 quarts from standard temp (plus a few) 70-120 degrees up to over 425 degrees in less than 5 minutes (longest autocross run I have seen took under 4 minutes). I challenge you to do that on a stove top or even in a microwave. It takes more than that to boil 2-3 quarts of WATER in my stove (so only212 degrees), and I can MAYBE do that in my microwave. NO way IN HELL should your power steering system spike in temp that much in so short of a time.

So, let me say that again. Your powersteering system is seriouslly F-ED UP if not totally FUBARED if you are taking your PS Fluid from underhood temps of 120 or under to over 425+ degrees that fast. Don't waste time with the PS Fluid cooler. Buy a new pump, and flush/refill the ENTIRE system. Period/end of statement.

Now, if you're boiling the WATER in your fluid. The problem is your fluid. Get fresh fluid in there that isn't full of moisture. Examine the whole system to figure out where the water/moisture is getting in and fix it. Problem solved short of using a cooler.

I would be willing to bet the "boiling" isn't your fluid, but it is moisture in your fluid, or just cavitation bubbles from a bad pump/impeller. You'd know if your pump was pissed off enought to spit out 425+ degree fluid.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (faithofadragon @ Jun 30 2010, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i <3 random</div>

+1
Old 07-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not MY fluid boiling brother. I'm going with the aftermarket cooler b/c the stock one is a joke (much like the stock auto trans. oil cooler) as well as being unreasonably difficult to install for such a simple part.

I'll go with you that it's likely to be watery fluid that will boil sooner, but as Mr. Google tells us, at least *some* other people think PS fluid can boil.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5143748_problems...ring-fluid.html
http://forums.nicoclub.com/power-steering-...ng-t265069.html

I am reminded of this:

http://my350z.com/forum/1881691-post1.html
Old 07-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stocker @ Jul 4 2010, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>but as Mr. Google tells us, at least *some* other people think PS fluid can boil.</div>
I never said PS fluid COULD NOT boil. Just that it was very, very unlikly to boil in the short duration of an autocross run, unless there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with the PS system. Put it simply. In a normal, functional PS system, it should not be possilbe for the fluid to jump 300+ degrees (from 100 to 425+) in under 4 minutes....

Mr. Google will also show you that some people thing electric superchargers work, and are worth $579.
Mr. Google will also find people who think "horse boy is on the loose in Scottland
Mr Google will help you find the Flat Earth Society.

So, trust Mr. Google if you want. I'll trust science.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

lmao.gif