Other Hyundai Models Forum All Hyundai Forum. Discuss all other Hyundai models here that not listed anywhere else, such as the Hyundai Pony and Hyundai Scoupe!

Save the Scoupe

Old 04-28-2003, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save the Scoupe

OK, Here's my story. A friend of mine had a 92' Hyundai Scoupe, she threw a rod and was ready to junk it. So I bought it from her for $80 , i figured it would be a cool little project. After i got the car i realized that there is not much i can do with it . But i would like to know what i need to do to make this car at least half way decent without having to pawn off any internal organs.The body is jus fine not even any rust. there is a brand new clutch init and the tranny is fine as far as i know also. from what i know my engine options are; another Scoupe, Exel 91-03,and Mirage 96-03.
Please help , i really dont want to put more than $2,500-$3,000 into this. And i dont want to have to but new or replace parts every 2 weeks.
Any help would be greatly appreicated.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

you can get a used scoupe, mirage or excel motor for under $500. If you want to keep the turbo, go with the scoupe motor. Rebuild the motor for the cost of several weekends labor, and some gaskets/rings and the cost of some tools, and you'll have a reliable motor, and a "hopefully" good tranny. You'll still have to address brakes and suspension.

If you want a "rebuilt" motor, those can be had for under $1000 if you give a shop your "donor" motor (see above) and they will do the rebuild labor for you. total cost, $500 junkyard motor, $1000 rebuild.