Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Xbox 360 Stopped Working

Old 12-07-2007, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Every disc I put in, it says "Unplayable Disc."

I looked online, found how to clear the HDD cache, something like, x, x, y, a, lb, rb, a or something. It worked to bring up the maintenence menu, but it didn't fix my problem.

Tried playing with the HDD on and off. Didn't help.

Unplugged everything, tried everything I can think of.

I'm thinking my only option is to send it in for warranty. Now the problem is that I can't find my serial number on the back on the Xbox where it's supposed to be. Can someone please DUMB it down for me, and take a picture of YOUR xbox and show me where the serial number is. Blur it out if you're worried someone will do bad things with your serial if you want to.
I'm feeling like there is no serial on my xbox, because I seriously can't find it. >_
Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

most likely there's just a problem with the dvd drive. open it up and shoot some compressed air in there. If that doesn't work and you have a warranty it would be best to ship it off. If there's no warranty then there are tons of diy sites that tell you how to replace the dvd drive.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 AM

Just call 1-800-MYXBOX. I've had to call there probably 4-5 times. 3 of them I just hung up because I couldn't understand the person for shit and I didn't want to deal with it. The serial is on the right side of the back of the 360 above the ethernet cord slot. Here's a pic just off google. Serial Number Placement
Old 12-07-2007, 08:27 AM

Yea i hate that phone number. First the automated message is a robot trying to be cool, remind me of the jetsons.
Then I get some lady who swears up and down her name is Susan, but she can barely speak english.

I hate that number, I'd use it only as a last resort.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 AM

As much as I like my xbox 360, I just as much hate it....No joke, I'm on my THIRD one. Thank g-d I bought the extended warranty plan from bestbuy, but I would just ship it off since Steve Jobs extended the manufactor's warranty.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 AM

Lol Adam. I was with friends once cause a friends 360 broke on the spot when we were all there and I called and I just said "shut up", "operator!" after you tell that guy trying to be cool that you have a 360 and you don' thave to go through any of the crap. Much faster. Just hope you get someone that isn't from the middle east because you end up saying pardon every sentence and it's just a hassle you shouldnt have to deal with when your trying to fix a problem...But on another note, I got 3 rings about a month ago and they send you a box to send the 360 away, you take it to a post office then they send it back and I got mine back in 2 days...really fast, so I recommened just sending you 360 away.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 AM

Supercow: Are there any "if you break this sticker, we break your arm" sticker on the XBox to prevent me from cleaning inside of it? I don't want to void the warrenty or not be able to send it back, if it comes to that. But i'll try blowing it out with an air can when I get home.

Blank_00Tib: THANKS! Now I feel stupid. The reason I couldn't find the serial number is because I have the wireless modem, which covers up that spot. I've had it on there for so long now that I didn't even think of looking under. It's like a part of the XBox now. And thanks for the number, i'll try calling them if I end up replacing it.

Since this happened, i've been tempted now to just go out and buy a new Elite 360 to replace it. We'll see what happens.
Thanks for the help!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Supercow meant opening the HD drive and blowing compressed air through there. Not opening the whole 360.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'd suggest using a lens cleaner before anything else.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:53 AM

^^I'll try the lens cleaner before I blow air in the disc drive.

"Unplayable Disc" seems to be a common problem around the internet, almost everyone i'd read with the same problem ended up having to send it back.
If it comes to that, I hope they get it returned to me as quickly as Blank's.

I wish there was a cheaper option for upgrading your current Xbox to an Elite. Then i'd do that. They should offer discounts to current 360 owners... 02.gif