Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Where To Go To Build A Computer

Old 01-30-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Hey everyone, Ive been searching for a computer lately, and I would like to know who to go to, to build me a nice custom setup.

I want a pci-e motherboard socket 939, with a AMD 64 dual core processor, with dual GeForce 7800 graphics cards, and at least a gig of ram, and a wireless keyboard and mouse, and surround sound speakers.

Ive tryed ebay but the sellers are very vague on the companys of the parts they use.
and can i really rely on an ebay seller for tech support.

Ive been on www.newegg.com checking out parts and prices, and I can build my own for 1300, but the ebay sellers want upwards of 1600 for the same stuff.

So what a good company out thee that i can trust to build me what I want, and still get a good warranty and tech support ???

thanks peeps hope to hear from yas
Old 01-30-2006, 11:00 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

high end custom job huh? sounds like you want either alienware or dell's dimension. Either way, you're going to get jacked for the price unless you build it yourself. If price is not an issue, go alienware. That's just my personal oppinion.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Check out www.redbarncomputers.com. They're the sister company to the T-shirt company I help run (Hackerthreads.com). I just talked to the big cheese there and he looked at your specs and said that he'd have no problem putting that system together. They have a great warranty and you can choose exactly what parts you want. I don't think I can get a discount for you, but mention that I sent you and you'll get that extra special love and care. Drop them an email or give them a call.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 AM

newegg.com
Old 01-30-2006, 11:17 AM

www.pricewatch.com is another good site though I have been working with newegg more and more lately.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:33 PM

Try www.cpusolutions.com ive built several computers through them and they work great..... you can pick and choose components that you want and get it shipped to you assembled or dissasembled so you can put it together yourself if you want.... Oh and they have great prices and customer service/technical support.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 PM

You seem to know what you want, why not build it yourself? If you have ever added an internal drive or upgraded your RAM, and know how to install an OS, you won't have a problem. There's really nothing to it.

There are dozens of step by step walkthroughs as well.

I used to charge $100 per build for some extra income. Although I usually made closer to $300, since I would order parts bundles which had volume discounts, and then charge the per each price. And the customer still came out way ahead of Dell both in price and quality of components. Dell's components are total crap, and their BIOS is simply pathetic. But it's inexpensive crap in a shiny box, which seems to sell nicely.

Alienware is definitely high quality, but you could build your own with the exact same components for hundreds less.

I order from Newegg almost exclusively. Great prices on shipping, excellent customer service and never a problem with returns.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have a computer shop, I do alot of high end pc's/servers. My main focus isn't building pc's though, I mainly do repairs, networks, etc.

the last couple machines i built were a pentium D workstation and an opteron server.

I'll build you one and charge parts+200 shipped.

01importshark does have a point with the 2 gb though. I have a 64bit 3200+ and just the other day I had about 10 bittorrents going in bitcomet and it bumped me up to 1.3 gb of memory usage. I only have 1gb though and if your not going to be doing a ton of crap at the same time often i'd stick to 1 gb for now. Its an easy upgrade later.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

doing it your self is the way to go and will save you a bunch of money, as everyone else said. If you don't want to do it yourself and money is not an issue i would go with falconnorthwest. They build amazing machines with custom paint jobs and such plus they have excelent customer support, but they are the expensive side, up there with alienware and voodoo systems