Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Whats better for personal defense? Stun gun or pepper spray?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Accent
Default Whats better for personal defense? Stun gun or pepper spray?

Which of the 2 would be better for weilding off an attacker? Pepper spray or a pocket stun gun?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

A .40 cal and a person who knows how to use it
Legal defense is better than death or getting some sort of abuse/rape
Old 08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

For a woman, I would say a stun gun. Alot of attackers may be immune to pepper spray and could still come after you. Not many people can take on a stun gun though.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Most states require you to get a permit to carry if you want to carry a stun gun or taser of any sort. If you go with pepper spray buy it from an outdoor place that sells camping gear. Ask for bear pepper spray. It is much stronger than the normal stuff and works a lot better.

Contact your local police department and ask about the electric options because they are way better. If you can't or don't want to get a permit (if needed) then go with pepper spray for a bear.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

QUOTE (faithofadragon @ Aug 23 2010, 06:30 PM)
A .40 cal and a person who knows how to use it
Legal defense is better than death or getting some sort of abuse/rape

+1

what this guy said...
Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

pepper spray is better . even though you may want to kill at the moment if you accidentally did cause your stun gun started a heart attack you could actually be held liable if you don't have proof more than struggle wounds.

find a container that you can lasso to your wrist cause if the predator can easily take it away form you, he could use it on you.

two of the best things to look for in pepper spray

oleoresin capsicum" known as O.C., If you decide that pepper spray is the protector for you, get a spray that has a Scoville Heat Units Scale (SHU) rating of at least 1 or 2 million. Don't get a spray that has a capsicum content of more than 10%. Between 5 and 10% is best, because it is thinner and will work faster. you may have seen episodes of "dogg the bounty hunter" where he makes a big deal about 15% O.C. content but you have to look at the size of can he is using. i have seen car extinguishers smaller than the one he has attached to his hip and truthfully, it is probably for more show than actual use.

ultra violet dye : find a cannister that has this in it also. say your attacker gets away and a couple of days later the cops have a good lead on who it was but they can't prove it because most of the effects of just plain pepper spray can wear off in a few hours. the dye will stay on a person for a week or more which will give the cops more than enough time to find them if they have a good lead.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

QUOTE (UrS0NvS @ Aug 24 2010, 12:26 AM)
pepper spray is better . even though you may want to kill at the moment if you accidentally did cause your stun gun started a heart attack you could actually be held liable if you don't have proof more than struggle wounds.

and with spray they could be allergic and you start respiratory arrest. ?!? What state do you live in? To hell with their medical conditions... they are putting your life in danger (or you shouldn't be using any of them) and they deserve a bullet.

Use both, just to be sure. Spray them with some pepper.... and have the stun gun as back up if they manage to close on you and got after your spray can. laugh.gif
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 AM

When I was younger it took 2 shocks for me to hit the floor when a cop zapped me (long story)

I wouldn't want my wife in that kind of situation

Which Is why she carries a .380

Zap no one calls the cops you gotta call

Bang warning shot in air everyone calls the cops and you still have at least 7 shots left if you need em
Old 08-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ALL shots should be in the attacker, or if you must warn, put them into the DIRT. Shots in the air are EXTREMELY reckless behavior and many people have died during dumbass new years & 4th of july shooting-in-the-air celebrations.

When I read the title of this thread I thought: "stun gun? you mean GUN gun!" The effects of a handheld stun gun can be fought through, and it is a contact weapon. You have to be in contact range to use it. One swipe of a bad guy's hand and you now have nothing. Pepper spray can be ineffective against someone who is high on PCP or whatever, AND there is the chance you will get it on yourself if wind conditions are unfavorable. Bullets go where you send them, and can be used from greater than contact distances.

+1 to UrS0NvS's advice about which spray to buy if you don't want a gun.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

Thanks everyone. I dont have my gun license and it may be something I get in the future but for now Im looking for an immediate self defense/protection tool, whether it be pepper spray, stun gun, or even maybe some kind of pocket knife.

What about those stun guns that look like a gun and they shoot out the little darts into people. How effective are those compared to the ones you have to be up close to use on someones skin?