Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

what are some things you would have done differently when you were 20?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon
Default what are some things you would have done differently when you were 20?

I'm just going through that phase in your life when you're confused... lost.. and unsure what you are doing...

I just go to work everyday and come home. my work isn't exactly something I am passionate about. Like many people it's just a 'job'. I see stories and experience of people doing things they love like computer animation, teaching, etc.. and opening up their own little shop. But I just go to my 9-5, come back, and I'm not even sure this is the industry I want to work in..... Sometimes I feel like I just need a huge shift in life to make me aware that each day is indeed a different day.

Anyway I'm kinda going off topic.. but I'm just interested to hear 1) how old you guys are and 2) what are some things you would do (differently) if you could time travel back to your 20's, knowing what you know now?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

1) 27

2) I'd go for my pilot's license, or get into racing. I've grown to hate IT work and am more or less miserable with my job now. I'm weighing my options on both of my other passions right now...
Old 02-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

1) 31

2) Wow, where to start. I would do a lot differently. Choose a career path. You're going to have to work for a long time...so choose wisely based on demand for what you want to do, income, and your interest in the field. You most likely won't like your job. Most people don't. Even if you like your job at first. I don't want to do ANYTHING for 40+ years.

If you like your job you generally either:

Get paid next to nothing

Work for yourself

Spent a LONG time in college and got into a niche field that interests you

Haven't worked there very long

If I had it all to do over again I would have enlisted in the military. I would be able to retire with a pension in as little as 7 years from today. That is compared to hopefully retiring in 36 years, for which I have started to save significant amounts for twice only to have those savings reduced to nothing by economic downturns combined with the early withdrawals they necessitated to allow me to pay bills.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You can't change the past. The past IS past. You can only work on changing your FUTURE. Pick a direction/interest and follow it. Maybe it's the right direction, maybe it's not. But you won't know unless you follow it/try it. BTW, there's nothing wrong with a "job". If your "job" gives you the money/time to pursue your other interests, it serves it's purpose. Not EVERYONE can turn their "interests" into a career. While there are lots of people interested in racing cars/motorcycles/go carts whatever...only a VERY FEW are good enough at it to make a living at it. The vast majority are using money from their JOBS to pay for their racing. Nothing wrong with that.

Follow your interests and passions. TRY To turn them into a career, but there's nothing wrong with you if you get stuck at a "job" but doing what you want on your own time!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I'm 19 and this is scary as f*ck.

Choosing and committing to a career choice makes me anxious as hell, because everybody just seems to be throwing mud at a wall these days.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Everyone is self employed. You are only as stuck in your career as you think you are.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

1. 27. I have been here since I was 19. I was 16 during the days of Fxtreme.org

2. Art major b/c an Italian friend of my dad's who was an industrial designer wanted me to study design with him. By the time I made it to college, he had alzheimers and the department literally became the sewage. (Do not take Art at University of Maryland!!!) The head adviser walked out. I've been there since. There was nobody to guide me and I didn't know what I was really doing (learned everything myself). If I would go back and someone guided me through, I would have taken statistics and do architecture instead of dealing with this crap staff. Dealing with those sh:t people for the past 10 years has made me a non-believer.

I agree with Random. So long as you have income no matter how much, you can save it up too (if you're smart and live an efficient way).

It's a tough time.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

1. 24

2. I'm in my 20's, but it wouldn't matter if I was in my 50's. I'm under the strong belief that you MUST do what you enjoy. If you do, you won't work a day in your life. Also, it's important to TRY to enjoy your work whever you are. I worked for 9 months on an egg farm moving over a million eggs (couple thousand boxes) every day. By far one of the most unpleasant jobs I've done, but regardless, I still very much enjoyed it (and even went back to work for half a day just for the fun of it on vacation). Liking or disliking things are a CHOICE, rather than a circumstance. Sure there's outside influences, but for the most part, it's completely about your attitude towards work.

That being said, you certainly can strive for more. For example, I enjoyed the work at the egg farm, but I really wanted a management or engineering job. In my current project management job, I've discovered my huge love of wedding photography, and am striving to be able to make that a full-time venture.

So sit back and think of your ideal job. Obviously it must be something that pays ("playing video games" isn't a job...), but no matter the pay, you MUST do something you love. Once you find this job, ask yourself why am I not in this job? What do I need to do to get there? What steps am I currently taking to get myself there? Physically write out what's needed to get to that point, set a realistic timeline, and work with someone else (spouse, parent, close friend) to keep you on track with your goals.

For me, I have about a 5-year plan to reach full-time wedding photography. My current goals for the year are to learn as much about the business and marketing side of photography (books, blogs, webinars), and shoot a minimum of 6 weddings this year (hoping for 8), no matter the price. That's a reasonable, achievable goal. Next year's plan is similar, but more weddings, and eventually start putting income goals on it too. Again, reasonable and achievable, especially if this year's goals are met. Every year, I have something tangible and achievable to keep me moving towards this long term goal.

Along the way, I've also said that if there's a part of the business that I don't enjoy doing (for example, editing and culling pictures after a wedding), then I'll outsource it. My goal is to DO everything that I LIKE to do, and NOT do the things I DISLIKE. Then I end up with a profitable job that I really, genuinely enjoy doing.

Two books that I highly recommend (currently on the top 5 of my to-read list; I still have about 2-3 in queue before getting to these, unfortunately) are:

48 Days to the Work You Love

Quitter

Don't be constrained by your work just because you think you're stuck there. Don't be a captive of your own mind.

And above all else, Sola Deo Gloria.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by StrikeEagle
Liking or disliking things are a CHOICE, rather than a circumstance. Sure there's outside influences, but for the most part, it's completely about your attitude towards work.

That being said, you certainly can strive for more.

So sit back and think of your ideal job. Obviously it must be something that pays ("playing video games" isn't a job...), but no matter the pay, you MUST do something you love. Once you find this job, ask yourself why am I not in this job? What do I need to do to get there? What steps am I currently taking to get myself there? Physically write out what's needed to get to that point, set a realistic timeline, and work with someone else (spouse, parent, close friend) to keep you on track with your goals.

Don't be constrained by your work just because you think you're stuck there. Don't be a captive of your own mind.

And above all else, Sola Deo Gloria.

Well said!