Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

The Theta is here!!!

Old 12-17-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: senders for gauges

K guys, get ready for this. The Theta is finally in production. AND being sold.

REDZ get ahold of David and see if a swap :twisted: is possible.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ysler_engine_dc
Old 12-17-2004, 07:56 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon
Default The Theta is here!!!

Ultimately, however, Hyundai and Mitsubishi are both expected to use Chrysler-built versions of the new engine for models that they manufacture in North America.

ugh. i want a Hyundai-built version of the new engine!!! i despise the Chrystler corporation

and i bet spike is creaming for the Theta. thats all he talked about when he was around
Old 12-17-2004, 08:15 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: FS: NEW H&R springs for 97-01 tiburon

5% more fuel efficient, but what about the HP gains? Will they be significant enough to bother with a swap?
Old 12-17-2004, 08:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: The Theta is here!!!

are the gk's built in the us?? all rd's were built in korea right? I think all that's saying is production plants located in the us will use chrysler motors, while cars built in korea (like the tib) will use the korea version then shipped here.

but back on topic, are these swapable, are they turbo'd factory?, and what are the hp/torque stats on it?? laugh.gif
Old 12-17-2004, 11:04 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC
Default Re: EBAY ALERT: RD1 in New Jersey/New York for CHEAP!

If they are going to built so many of these they better be sure that they are quality. And perhaps the KDM engine will be less restrictive then the North America one...
Old 12-17-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Stainless steel shiftknob in WINTER :(

With so many units made, there will be many aftermarket parts and performance options but... why would you want a swap? If the engine is emissions oriented, or efficiency oriented, it's not going to give as good HP figures as your current Beta (given that in the standard form it WILL NOT be a performance engine; it would require money and parts to become a performance version...)
Also, if messing around the actual USA-Spec ECU is such a difficult thing, imagine what it could be to mess with emissions oriented variable valve timing ECU, that will be a PITA.
If it comes factory turbo, probably will be better than a N/A Beta1, but costwise, I think it will still be cheaper to tune a Beta1 (even turbocharge it) than to get to swap a newer motor... I don't know... just my thoughts at the moment.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Re: DIY clutch installation

There are many reasons to be enthusiastic about a swap.
Here are the 3 that Matter most to me :

1.) its an Aluminum Block = Weight savings
2.) I have also heard that mitsu, and possibly hyundai, will be prodcing boosted versions. :-)
3.) Also read in another article that was posted here (or maybe at the old site, dunno) that there may be a 6 speed tranny.....the fact that I have a 40-45 mile commute to and from work makes that possiblity very interesting for me. Especially since most of that commute is usually at 75-80 mph....and b/c of hyundais gearing we get REALLY shitty gas mileage in that range. (5th Gear)

and theres always the possibility that we will get a MAP based engine instead of MAF.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: Stainless steel shiftknob in WINTER :(

tibwrc, you would be suprised at the gas mileage i got going to ocean city at that speed. 40 miles per gallon. shocked the shit out of me. i think i might have had the air conditioning on too. course, that was with NO stopping.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: Best Cheap OEM Mod Yet... *Teaser*

QUOTE (tibwrcsbj)
3.) Also read in another article that was posted here (or maybe at the old site, dunno) that there may be a 6 speed tranny.....the fact that I have a 40-45 mile commute to and from work makes that possiblity very interesting for me. Especially since most of that commute is usually at 75-80 mph....and b/c of hyundais gearing we get REALLY shitty gas mileage in that range. (5th Gear)

and theres always the possibility that we will get a MAP based engine instead of MAF.

This would be really interesting, because when I do my auto to manual conversion, I was going to look into the possibility of using the GK 6-speed tranny. (Might as well with all that work) This full swap, if that will be an option, will be a good consideration. :twisted:
Old 12-17-2004, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: The Theta is here!!!

I doubt it would work but I'm just throwing this out there. If in fact they make a Turbo'd version of the Theta do you think that technology could be programmed into our ECU's?? Cause that would be nice.