Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

So It Looks Like I'm Leaving

Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

Alright guys, I know nobody's heard from me in the last few weeks so I'll explain. About 2 weeks ago I was driving to work and my car slipped on some ice, lost traction, slid into a ditch, and did what was essentially a barrel roll. Hands down the most terrifying moment of my life. Fortunately, I walked away with zero injuries. The Tib on the other hand, not so much. Front bumper and hood are trashed, there's damage to the roof... It's not bad, but it's an expensive fix.

I've been deliberating for the last two weeks about what to do. Do I repair it? Get a new tib and swap over my stuff? Get a new car? I weighed a lot of options and I didn't like any of them. Ultimately, I went with a new vehicle. I picked up a '98 Police Interceptor for a great price and really I've gotta say I'm kind of looking forward to it. I've missed an american V8 (even if it is a 4.6). I'm gonna miss my tib, a lot. Hell, I'm getting all emotional writing this.

The tib was a great ride, it fell into my lap and fell right back out again. I learned a lot working on it, I gained a great appreciation for it, and I enjoyed driving it. But at the end of the day, it's not really my style, and in many ways it felt like the car didn't fit me right. I'm 6' tall, and my head almost scraped the headliner all the time, visibility was weird from that far up, and my knees were almost perpetually hitting the steering wheel, I felt like the car was built for someone smaller than me.

I've had an amazing experience with everyone on the site, and I'll probably stick around to offer advice and such, maybe get another tib if the time is right, but for now I'm parting out the car. I feel this is the best for me for many reasons. Namely I'll get more money out of parts than I will from selling it outright, and I'll be able to pass on a lot of nice parts back into the community which I love. It feels like a fitting way to leave. That said, parts are friggin cheap. They're priced to move, not to make cash. Check out my for sale thread while it's hot.
Thanks everyone,
-Jmans
Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Sad to see you go. We have several members who don't drive/own a Tib anymore, and we invite you to stay as long as you wish. We accept domestics here.

You have a great wealth of knowledge and insight, and we hate to lose our access to it. Have fun in your new venture, and good luck.

I'm glad you're not seriously hurt, that couldn't been disastrous.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Glad you did'nt get hurt!!.....all my tall friends hate my tib as well lol,..I'm only 5.4 and feel the tib fits me perfectly.,must be like going from a go cart to a limo driving the interceptor?! lol
Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

The handling's not too shabby, since it's got all the police suspension components. What takes getting used to is the fact that it weighs just over 4000lbs!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It just means it'll smash more cars out of the way next time you slide on ice.

Sucks about the car man. Thanks again for helping with mine.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Definitely stick around, I know I will if I ever wreck the Tib.

And my sister won the high bid at a police auction to get one of those interceptors a couple of years ago....I borrowed it and took it out to the highway and very happily drove at an undisclosed speed. Very friggin' fast.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Glad to hear that you're not hurt, I had a similar accident where i flipped a car, (not my tib) and it is very scary. Hope everything turns out great.

And why you gotta go and get a police interceptor....lol everyone's gonna slow down when they see you in the mirror, lol thinking its a cop. That's mean. tongue.gif

Anyhow good luck with everything, hope to keep seeing you around.

p.s. i have dibs in your sale thread XD