Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Signal Booster

Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this signal repeater?

LinkSys

I wanna buy it, but I think it is a lil expensive, do any of you have some other recommendations? suggestions? Also, I've heard that a Buffalo Wireless Router can be flashed to a different firmware to be used as a range extender, if so, do any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Doesn't have very good ratings anywhere I looked.

As for prices...

LINKSYS WRE54G

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

They go for about $34 plus shipping on Ebay.

What do you need it for? I'd recommend going to Radio Shack and buying some extended range antennas for $10 first for your current wireless, worked fine for me.

As for reflashing, go to their website and look it up, then you'll know.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:00 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't think I've ever seen that model.

Even still, I'd go with 2 WRT54Gs, flash new firmware and create a reapeater out of them.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:47 AM

Thanks, my dad's room has pretty weak signal and I want a stronger signal is his room, internet is his room is soo darn slow. I'm gonna look for the antennas in RadioShack. Then, I'm gonna look for some more info on flashing firmware, either with WRT54G or Buffalo. Thanks fing02.gif
Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Banned

I just set up my WRT54G yesterday and what a pain in the ass.. I could see the router and adjust all my settings but I couldn’t get an IP address and get online. After about 5 min. of searching I found out TONS of people had the same issue. (this was all with the latest firmware installed when I was having the issues)

I finally got it figured out by doing some weird process, but I don’t think I would go with that router again.

Out of your options and my experience thus far with linksys wireless routers, and based on the not so hot reviews on that repeater I would go with the buffalo used as a repeater first. Then the linksys repeater. My LAST choice would be using two pain in the ass WRT54Gs