Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

question for random!!.....or anyone else that knows!

Old 12-18-2001, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for random!!.....or anyone else that knows!

my car doesnt want to start...it just cranks and cranks but doesnt catch to start!!!.....a local mechanic said it was my catalytic converter was either damaged or broken!!!.....and was going to charge me 250 to replace it!!!!!!!!!...im not really buying that could this cause it not to start???..any info would help ALOT!!!!...this is happening to my 91RX-7 thats why im posting it in the offtopic forum thanx!!!!!
Old 12-18-2001, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Cars don't start for one of 3 reason.

No Gas
No Air
No Spark

I would check all the basics first. Verify that the plugs are firing. Verify that you are geting gas...verify your intake is sucking air.

Check all the important fuses. Fuel pump, ignition..etc..

Lastly...test his theory. Disconnect the ehxaust just before the cat and see if the car fires up.

I seriouly doubt your cat converter is clogged to the point of not allowing the engine to idle. It might be clogged, but that would cause poor performance at moderate to high RPM, but not failure to start.

The only exhaust problem that would cause a failure to start is a completely blocked exhaust system (Cat). If you can feel air come out the tail pipe when you crank it over...that's NOT the problem.
Old 12-18-2001, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for the info random!!......i'll go through all that tommorrow after i get out work and post how it goes..thanx again!