Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Promoting KDM unity

Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I wouldn't see it as "opposition" in a negative, I personally just don't see the opportunity for success. I don't see the point, as others pointed out, that was the intention of this site for all Hyundai models. 200 people on FB doesn't necessarily correlate into a successful forum.

I'm not sure what you mean about "geared toward the car club side" - organizing meets I suppose? So, is this a regional focus or are the 200 followers/members spread across the country?

Also, I respectfully disagree that a forum is a 'natural progression' for a club. Facebook actually seems to be much much more impactful for a club arranging events. I've been an admin on the Hyundai forums for nearly a decade. I'm also an admin on many Facebook groups, one of which a 500+ member Genesis Coupe specific group. I'm also one of 5 people organizing a meet this weekend in North Carolina that will have over 80 Genesis Coupes coming as far west as Texas, as far south as Miami, and northerners driving from Wisconsin, Vermont, and Canada. Organizing this on Facebook has been immensely easier to coordinate and communicate than a forum. It also helps itself grow as people can share/invite others to the event.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

www.newtiburon.com and www.gencoupe.com <----- Those two sites should be isolated from contamination. I would compare each of them to Mos Eisley Space Port. "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Although I like the idea of a regional club, I think one regarding every model is very difficult to organize, especially with people like me that believe we have a very cynical breed of newcomers.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Any site that promotes our choice in cars is a good one, I visit many sites, why limit yourselves to only one?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm not opposed to the idea. I just don't follow the logic. I offered my opinion as advice.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Lincoln Aviator

Opinions are duely noted. My june meet went off well because of facebook and because of spreading the word on 7 different forums. Iheart posted here about my meet before I even visited this site. I just happened apon the post. 200 members in the group isn't bad for a month of being up in my opinion either.

My meet ended up with 40 cars, with an expected 60. This was all based on not having a solid relationship on some of these forums. Had I known more people, it may have helped. But for my first meet with no one organizing it but me, it worked out pretty well. The event page and the Facbebook "page" helped I will admit. And once everyone saw the photos and heard the news, I already have 20 to 30 more people who say they will come next year. I had people driving six to eight hours in june. And this doesn't include the smaller meets before an after the next big one this june. And this is with no help at all coordinating. If anyone wants to help next year, feel free to speak up

Thanks for not deleting the thread and swaying the conversation in a better direction

Here is the facebook group BTW if anyone is interested. the link can also be found on my homepage - Hyundai Motor Club Facebook Group

EDIT* To any guests that have visited the site, the forum is up and running and there is no fear of having to register over again. We are very pleased with the software and we intend to stick with it.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

This site is the #1 non-model specific site out there. If you look at other non-model sites (cough HP cough), they are a total ghost town with maybe 1 or 2 posts a week, and those posts are usually from spammers.

This site is also the worlds longest running Hyundai site in existence (over 12 years running) and ranks very high on search engines when people are looking for something that has to do with Hyundai's. We also are the only Hyundai site out there where employees from Hyundai USA actually visit.

We wish you luck with your site, but I can honestly say that many people have tried to start up similar forums in the past and they were shut down and closed within 4-6 months due to no traffic or posts.

The one thing you should have done is asked to have your own subforum here and be a moderator of it. We would have gladly given to you. That way, everyone could of came on board, discussed meets, and enjoyed themselves in a large community thats already formed and established. If you ever decide to go that way, let us know and we'll be glad to do it for you here.

But again, good luck and hope it goes well for you.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Accent

@ another forum popping up.

HA > all others
Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Simple machines is great software for what you can get for free. I agree that there are a lot of perks to owning/running a forum/website for your group.

I think some here however may have been "insulted" (for lack of a better word) when you stated that you created your site with a goal of doing the same thing this site is here for. Then there is still the question of the club - is this site for your regional club? Are you trying to manage a national/worldwide club? What is the real purpose of your site, and does it directly compete with the purpose of this site?

I run a site of my own (link in sig), but my site is about automotive photography, not very competitive to this site, so I never hear any crap about posting it here. I still fail to see where your site doesn't compete against this one, not to say that competition isn't a good thing, but expect some grief when advertising your site ON your competitors site.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8

Theres alot of Genesis owners that dont even go to Gen Coupe because of the assclownery that goes on there and how ridiculous the staff and alot of members are. We all come here because simply put, theres no other website that can compete with this one. People are not joking when they say HA is the best and there is no need to ever go to any other forums. Sure you will get people who sign up initially just to see what its all about and maybe even post here and there. But when it comes down to on going postings, and there constantly being new registrations, you just cant compete with this site because it doesnt cater to one model. It will always have new members, new topics, and active traffic. The HA facebook page and profile alone has thousands of people and see's more activity that most forums out there.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon GT

HA has more girls that post alot too compared to the other places. So unless your site doesnt have something that caters to female hyundai owners, good luck getting them to join. We even have our own little piece of heaven called the Bytch Factor here