Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Networking

Old 09-11-2005, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

i have lynksys router with 3 computers and i'm using dsl.

for some reason, it cuts the internet off of one computer if another is running a high bandwith program (ie. counterstrike).

but that could also be because alaska has sh!tty internet service.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

here's my perspective on it and i do this stuff everyday.

1. wireless is going to be a bit more ~ 50 dollars per machine more since most pc's have networks cards built in for wired. if this isn't a problem go to two.

2. is speed and reliablilty a top priority (transfering large files, internet is well be below even old wireless speeds) if it isn't go to 3.

3. is it going to be very hard to run cables to all the machines? if it will be go to 4.

4. are there any thick brick walls in your house? no? if so then then go wirless.

I use all wired in my house and probably will for forever because I can't stand any down time and want high speed's. I have a wireless network but only use it for my laptop when in the living room on the couch.

the actual router upgrade to wireless isn't much the cards for the machines is where the cost will be, if you can get one machine to be wired that will help on the cost. (just place the modem near the computer you use most! fing02.gif

and yes use linksys gear, most reliable and GREAT for the price. D-link used to be good, now it's crap.

edit: ^^^iQfOreVa counterstrike isn't high bandwidth it does have low latency requirements but that shouldn't affect the other pc's speed. things like p2p (limewire, winmx, bit torrent) are going to have a big affect though.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:04 PM

Yeah, I've pretty much decided to go with wire instead of wireless. Whats the best kind ethernet cable to use, for your money atleast (not really wanting to spend ridiculous amounts on it)?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:39 PM

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CT...1000-6U&cat=CBL

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1093467659846
Old 09-12-2005, 06:26 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Can you use FastEthernet Cards and unshielded twisted pair cable (cat 5 or 5E) ?
You can connect PCs through a hub.