Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

NASCAR driver cited for 128 in a 45 mph zone in a Lexus LFA

Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Sonatta 2.7L
Default NASCAR driver cited for 128 in a 45 mph zone in a Lexus LFA

TROUTMAN, NC - NASCAR driver Kyle Busch was cited for careless and reckless driving after deputies said they clocked him doing nearly three times the posted speed limit Tuesday afternoon.

Iredell County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Chris Stone, a member of the Aggressive Criminal Enforcement (ACE) team, said he stopped a 2012 yellow Lexus LFA sports car after he clocked it doing 128 mph in a 45 mph zone on Perth Road near Judas Road.

Stone said he was traveling north on Perth Road near the entrance to Honeysuckle Creek when he spotted a yellow sports car, traveling at an extremely high rate of speed.

“I didn’t even know what kind of car it was,” Stone said. “I hit my radar button and it read 128.”

He said he turned around, and when he caught back up with the car, it was turning left onto Judas Road. Stone said he turned on his blue lights and the car pulled into the parking lot of a church at the intersection of Judas and Perth roads.

Stone said there was a woman in the car with Busch, but she was not identified. “She didn’t say a word and I didn’t speak to her,” he said.

The car was a manufacturer’s vehicle and wasn’t registered in anyone’s name, Stone said.

He said he asked Busch why he was driving at such a high rate of speed. “He said ‘this is just a toy,’” Stone said. He said Busch indicated the car, a two-seat sport coupe produced by Lexus as a concept car and a racing prototype, was on loan to him from the manufacturer.

He said Busch was cooperative. “He wasn’t arrogant or anything,” he said.

Capt. Darren Campbell said it is standard procedure to issue a citation and release the person rather than arresting the driver and requiring a bond to be posted for release from custody. “A bond is an assurance you will appear in court,” he said. “He (Busch) had ID and lived in the area so there was no need for a bond.”

Busch, driver of the No. 18 M&M/Interstate Batteries Toyota Camry, was cited for careless and reckless driving and speeding, Miller said.

Busch, who recently turned 26, was recently involved in a confrontation with fellow driver Kevin Harvick after a race at the Darlington Raceway. After the race, Busch parked behind Harvick on pit road, and Harvick climbed out and approached Busch’s car and took a swing at Busch, according to ESPN. Busch drove away, pushing Harvick’s car into the inside retaining wall on pit road.

Calls to Joe Gibbs Racing seeking comment on the citations and Busch’s status for this weekend’s Coca Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway were not returned

http://www2.statesville.com/news/201...ne-ar-1061276/

Idiot
Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Yes, he can handle driving a car that fast, but does it mean he has a right to do it on public roadways? Not at all. In my eyes, this guy should have his license taken away. Its like a cops who think that just because they have a badge, they can get away with not following the laws. If NASCAR drivers think that because they drive fast cars for a living, they can speed anywhere they want...then they need to serious check themselves and be fired if they are caught doing it.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

That might be a bit harsh, but I agree that professional driving does not make you immune to traffic laws. IN FACT if you ARE and pro you should set a better example.

Granted if I had an LFA I would totally ragequit safety a-la Sammy Hagar as well.