Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

N.J. top court rules police must explain DWI test laws in native language

Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Elantra
Default N.J. top court rules police must explain DWI test laws in native language

TRENTON — Police in New Jersey must explain the state's implied consent law to motorists in a language that they understand, the state Supreme Court ruled on Monday.
In a 4-3 decision, the court overturned a conviction for refusing to take an alcohol breath test because the man, who spoke only Spanish, did not understand the consequences.
"There are over 150 different languages spoken in New Jersey, according to statistics gathered by the courts," Aseltine said. "This ruling effectively provides an immunity claim in a prosecution for violating the refusal statute for any drunk driver who speaks a language that the officer is unable to identify or translate."

fp.gif

What if i'm so drunk I don't understand English? lmao.gif
Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Accent

mmm kind of fair. i've been so f*cked up that i'm only barely able to remember my native language (english) and would not be able to understand any other languages i know.