Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

My Turn For Korea

Old 02-02-2007, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

No items listed but things gotta go, so of my sale threads or if you want to leave an inquery until I get a final listing feel free to post it as everything not on my car has to go. I came down on orders for Korea. Those that work the Signal?tech contrl of things know that I have no way of knowing where I'm going until I report. Onlything I know is it isn't 2 ID, it's probably 21st Sig and they are all over. I read Redz loving Korea and that is great but I hated being in Kuwait and I will hate Korea. I've got 2 years left and I leave behind my 4 month old little girl and wife. Probably take my laptop and camera over and buy iTV and watch my tv and movies or whatever and live on my laptop. Currently with the moving of the North camps to the South they are shaving personnel. Tango has 4 people who run 24 hour 1 man shifts. But when I'm not in the field (since it will probably be a dumbing down job of what I do now) or locked in a mountain for 12 or 24 hours. I will be in my room. Just wantesd to let everyone know. I'll of course keep in touch on the LT, but we'll miss any 07 meets/shows and NOPI and you guys have been great.

I'll get back to this thread later RD but I have some officers that want a tour of the facility from the 93rd. Again lotsa my stuff is up for grabs to get rid of it so my wife doesn't have to deal, work around it etc since I'll be moving when I get back as well to again a deployment post for my last 9 months or if they make me extend.

Later
Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Korea is awesome.

Dude, just take your family.

If you have 2 years left, and just got your orders, contact them and request to extend to 2 years with command sponsorship.

There's NO reason to go and sit in your room and hate it. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

take your family if you can. Get your little girl to grow up learning both English and Korean, she'd be a master at it in no time.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:12 AM

Not to mention my man, you and your wife will talk about it for years. Me and mine talk about it weekly. I miss Korea a lot. It's a awesome place, you just have to get out and see the country.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:54 PM

Hey guys. Just popping in between missions. I'm not trying to be negative, I'll do what I do and not sulk but I just worry about my wife's well being. Thanks for the support. Sadly for us, Command sponsorship is only going to be gauranteed if I reenlist and from the guys that brought their families, they got them established fast enough to keep their command from negating it. And when they find out, they make sure your time is used up alot in spite (again always depends on command and they are all different). As well as depending on location, soldiers are not to be allowed to live with them even if they are here, just free time spent together. All that has to be determined first. We will see. I know I'd get by, but my heart would never be into it. Especially since she has already gone through me being gone twice. I just got spoiled being in a small forgotten post.

Hell it may be a dumb down job, but I'll hang out in a rice patty for a month and set up while cool choppers and ish land near by and practise night fire. I miss it.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 PM

^^^
I took my wife over, NON command sponsored.

I didn't have any problems at all. I dont know who's telling you all of this BS, but the programs over there are great.

I had some paperwork to fill out, lived off base with my wife in a nice Korean apartment, got my BAH, seperate rats, everything.

And I was stationed at Camp Casey.

Folks WILL LIE to you to get you to not take your family over.

Trust me.

They told me my wife would be not allowed on post and would have a crappy apartment shitting through a hole in the floor.

I lived in a 14 story building in a VERY nice apartment, for half of what my BAH was, and there was a FAMILY SUPPORT GROUP on base, with a wives club, everything. Just as good as in the states.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 AM

Werd Redz, like I said I'll look into it. I hope for Carroll or Casey, but so long as I don't end up north inside the mountain I could care less. I hear what your saying but you've been out a bit haven't you? and the guys feeding my the info are soldiers under me who just got into the site less than a month or two with family and kids. One guy did take his family over and just had to pay outta pocket for the first 3-4 months until his command got off their @$$. Besides my wife is in the Federal position and I wouldn't ask her to leave a job that actually is the lifeline of my income and bills being covered. The Army is like a part time job that interrupts me from getting on with my life. I guess that happens after 6 years. You get bored.

Until I get the finalized sale thread done, I have a rear strut bar for grabs. KSpec.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:31 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

pm me and lets meet up.. i will help you homie you will love it here
Old 02-03-2007, 09:03 AM

Darkchylde, I left there in October of 2003, but it doesn't matter. There are always horror stories.

What you NEED to do is go over there, set it all up, then buy their ticket over. I did it that way and my only out of pocket expense, was my wife's ticket. It was about 800 bucks.

That's more than worth it.

If you go over there with the train of thought that you are bringing her no matter what, and get on the ball from minute 1 about what you have to do, you can do it EASILY. Seriously man, it's not hard at all.

The memories will last a lifetime.

As for her job, there are TONS of jobs over there. Federal or local. My wife taught English there, with no degree, for about $1500 a month, tax free. Talk about a steal.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

What's your job in the army mang? I used to be a Field Artillery radar repairer. I re-enlisted in iraq for a job as a medical equipment repairer because they work at hospitals and don't deploy as much. It's not really boring at all. It's more of a job where you are actually productive and do things.