Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Money vs Pleasure: Would you work 100 hour weeks for $200K/year?

Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default Money vs Pleasure: Would you work 100 hour weeks for $200K/year?

Money can buy pleasure but pleasure is not necessarily measured by money. Would you work over 100 hours/week in order to gain over $200K per year?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

That's over 14 hrs/day, 7 days/wk. Why would anyone do that? $200k is not alot of money in 2013. Would I do it for 7 figures? Sure... for one year.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Hell no! What is even the point of being alive, and accruing that much money, if you actually ruin the rest of your life to do so?

Like lollipops are pretty nice but I'm not going to eat 50 a day, because that would also ruin my life.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If I got paid $2k per day I worked and could work as many or few days as I wanted I would work about 5 days a month after paying off my current bills. I would work 10 days a month while paying off bills.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Define "work"... If you mean manual labor, then it's much less likely. But a security guard or paper pusher who spends 80% of their time "at work" on the computer surfing the net or watching movies....yes.

Many soldiers who get deployed work a good 14 hours a day every day...though we get a day off every now and then (so call it 90hour week on avg) and only get paid 40-100k (depending on rank) including tax free and bonuses ect. That is baiscally 8 hours of sleep, 1 hour before work, and 1 hour after, live off 6 hours of sleep like many and get 2 before and after. It wouldn't ruin you for the rest of your life.... So I would say, yea, I bet MANY of them would do that for one year to make double in the safety of being in USA. Unless that is before taxes, because that would end up only taking home 120k or something, so probly a few would do that. But if that was 200k after taxes, then yes, I know many that would do that.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

+1 @ cobra

+1 @ sks

+0.5 @ Whatnot

it depends on the job on whether I'd do it, but likely not. I have friends who run their own business and put in 70-80hrs a week, and make a little over $100k. It depends on what the "work" is, but I would answer no. Work hard, play harder. Work smarter not longer. I will work as hard as I can/need to for my job to be successful, not to just get by with the minimum requirements but to excel at it, but I'll do it for 40-45hrs per week. I'll work my ass off for those 40-45 hours/week and I get recognized for it. If I didn't, I'd go elsewhere.

I work to live, I don't live to work. I'll do what it takes to have the lifestyle I want, but I won't give up my life to have money. I'm still able to have my life while working less than 50 hours per week, but even those 50 hour weeks are limited to a handful per year.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

So my first job out of college was something like this situation. I was working a short week of 65 hours. I had many Fridays where I would pull 14-16 hours. This is the 5 day work weeks. I commonly did Saturdays and Sundays.

I rented a cheap apartment where I could sleep and eat. The job was physically demanding. After one year I left and had earned enough money to pay off all my student loans. And buy car parts that I stacked up in my apartment due to no time to install.

I got lots of crazy offers to go back to similar jobs working the same hours but getting even more money. I WON'T EVER do it again. It was HELL. But I knew the end game. I wanted to be 100% dept free as fast as possible.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I worked my ass off to put myself through school, worked 10 or 12 hour shifts 5 days a week so that I wouldn't have to work that much later in life. Slept on my girlfriend's (now wife) parents couch for 4-5 hours between work and school to make it happen. It kicked my ass but it was worth it.