Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Iowa grants gun permits to the blind

Old 09-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tib
Default Iowa grants gun permits to the blind

So here is an interesting bit of news, Iowa is granting gun permits to blind people so that they can carry them in public. Iowa is not the only state to do this, Wisconsin for example has no restrictions for the visually impaired.

Personally I believe this could be harmful to public safety, but oddly I don't feel all that strongly that blind people should not be allowed to have guns.....I don't know, if the person is cool-headed it really shouldn't be a problem.

What do you guys think? Are you cool with blind people carrying guns?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...blind/2780303/
Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Until he ponied up $9,000 to fix both eyes, my dad was legally blind - without glasses. With glasses he could see just fine through some seriously thick lenses. "Blind" isn't as cut and dry as you may think in all jurisdictions.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I would like to see the rational argument for this case. I'm all for gun ownership, but this seems pretty stupid on face value.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

^^ At first and at face value, I agreed, but then I thought about it behind face value....

Originally Posted by Stocker
Until he ponied up $9,000 to fix both eyes, my dad was legally blind - without glasses. With glasses he could see just fine through some seriously thick lenses. "Blind" isn't as cut and dry as you may think in all jurisdictions.

I used to be legally blind too. Anything further than about 3' in front of my face was blurry and hard to distinguish. Though with glasses I could see fine and qualified at boot camp. If that is the case, then it should be a stipulation that the blind-correctable vision can own guns if an only if they have proper prescription glasses on, like with driving a car. My license said, must wear corrective lenses. They can add that for the legally blind correctable people, and for the completly blind......

Though very few states have any laws on owning a gun (depending on the type)....I skimmed through the article and it seems to be referring to a CCL I believe or assult types. But now in just about every state (except for the super strict ones) a blind man could openly carry a gun if they wish.

The basis for their argument is basically. They say if a blind person wan't to go to a shooting range, obviously someone has to drive them (though I guess a taxi could be possible) and that someont driving them will help them aim and shoot. Shooting is fun, they want a peice of it. Or if they own a home with large land and want to shoot at home (like many people with sight do) they should be able to with supervision.

What if they can afford a .50 cal, but their friend with sight can't or doesn't want to. Should they be stuck to only shoot what their friends own? Their should be some law like a permanent drivers permit, where you need to have a person with sight with you, you can shoot. With that perment like stipulation for use, I would be all for it, but that is a must have stipulation. Which I don't see them arguing about either, just like they can own a car.....but can't drive it, they know this is common sense. I am sure if you owned enoguh land or was at an enclosed range/course, a blind could drive or shoot something if they had supervision with them.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

This is all over the news right now. It became big news because somebody who was 100% blind had a permit to carry.

Iowa has had some interesting legal/political events as of late. At least we are doing something. Right??
Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's in the news because the people who run the news outlets want you to be outraged at something related to private gun ownership, and if it makes gun people look foolish, that much the better.